An Open Letter To My First Semester Self

Everything is going to be okay in the end.

167
Javier Oñate

Dear My First Semester self,

Hey pal. Sorry, that's weird that I'm calling you pal when we're the same person. Well anyways, it's your second-semester self here. There are only two more weeks until your freshman year is finished and honestly the time has flown by so fast that it hasn't quite hit you yet that it's really coming to an end. You never thought things would fly by this fast. I know you have a lot of questions. I remember being you. I remember what it was like the first semester of your freshman year.

Before we get to that, I want you to know that it all gets better. It gets so much incredibly better. You just have to be patient and stick it out and eventually, you will be met with the outcome that you have always hoped for. Just hang in there.

I know your first semester was not what you were expecting or hoping for. I know you're wondering if things have gotten better and trust me, they have. It's crazy how much things have changed from the first semester. Depending on where you are in this first semester, I know you're probably struggling with the fact that you're far away from home.

Your parents have always been your best friends along with your siblings so being this far away from them can be hard on you at times. You're also struggling with the fact that you haven't really found a place to fit in.

You've met some really cool people and at the same time, you've met some really not cool people. You feel like you're stuck in the middle of it all and all you want to do is just simply find a group of people that you really click with and fit in with.

I know you're also struggling with the fact that some people are treating you very poorly and you're at the point where you are you don't even realize the amount of disrespect they have for you.

You give all your love to others who give you no love in return and your heart hurts and aches because of it. I know that you feel weighed down by the guilt of your mistakes.

Fitting into the college life has been a huge adjustment and something that you never thought you would have to struggle with. You struggle with how to fit in while at the same time maintaining your morals and while you try to do this you find yourself stumbling and falling. You wonder if you will ever be able to be happy with yourself the way you used to be.

You're at the point where your first semester is about to end and you've never been so excited to leave Purdue and to go home. Every time you've gone home for a weekend, your heart breaks when you realize it's time for you to go back to school. You feel like when you're home everything is good and safe and your life if just completely put together and your heart leaps for joy when you're done with your last final and you realize it's finally time to go back home for winter break

. With the first semester over, you think and worry over what is to come in the next semester. As I write this letter to you, I know you're sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for the answers to these questions and right about now I'm going to tell you how your second semester went.

Your second semester was full of everything you didn't have your first semester. While your first semester was filled with confusion and loneliness, your second semester was filled with lots of love and laughter and inclusion. You met your group of best friends who are there for you through anything. You found the people you can finally be 100% of yourself around without apology.

You've finally met people who respect you for who you are and choose to see your dignity and reciprocate the love that you have for them. You've learned to trust others and you've learned to trust that people are going to treat you the way that you deserved to be treated.

The people who have come into your life have encouraged you to be the best version of yourself and are there for you through anything. While you still make mistakes, you've learned to accept the fact that sometimes that happens. You've learned to realize that making mistakes is a part of life. You've learned that you need to stop being so hard on yourself. For once in your life, you're genuinely upset about the school year coming to an end.

You've grown to love Purdue as your home and while you love going back to see your family, the heart that once broke every time you had to come back to Purdue now breaks at the fact that you are going to have to leave it.

See my first-semester self, you never thought this would happen but here we are, happy as can be. Your future is so bright. You have so much to look forward to because God has big plans for you that you can't see yet.

No matter what happens, keep your head held high and push through. Lean on the ones who are there for you. Have confidence in yourself and who you are. While times may be hard, know that eventually, everything is going to be okay. You will be okay.

Have faith that there is always good left to come.

Much Love,

Your Second Semester Self