A Letter To My Childhood Best Friend

A Letter To My Childhood Best Friend

"We met at Starbucks. Not at the same Starbucks, but we saw each other at different Starbucks across the street from each other." - Best In Show

26
A Letter To My Childhood Best Friend
Kalo's Chicken and Waffles

You ever find someone and you wonder how you spent your entire life without them? If the answer to this question is no, I feel a bit sorry for you. A best friend is hard to find and they come when you are not looking. Circa third grade, that's when I found mine. It was the beginning of an incredible duo. We laughed during tests, we laughed during movies, we laughed during the serious moments, heck, we laughed at everything.

There are times, even now, when someone is telling a serious story. They may even be crying, it's kind of sick, actually, but I still look for you out of the corner of my eye tempting you to laugh. One of us was bound to ruin the sentimental moment, one of us was bound to crack. It was just a matter of who. We had our own language. We loved a good fiasco of any sort.

Here's to setting my alarm at 5 AM during high school to decorate your car on your birthday. Here's to you doing the same. Need we not forget the full-sized cardboard cut out of the ever so horrifying Bozo the Clown. The stuff we came up with is beyond me.

But wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. I cannot forget our first tragedy. You were exposed on the playground. Everyone in our class knew who your crush was and you locked yourself in the bathroom. I thought that was it. I thought that was as bad as it got for us.

I know you fell out of a tree house on your head when you were little, we thought your neighbor walked armadillos at night, and whenever there was an awkward silence, you never failed to whip out the "my mom found a rubberband in her salad at a Mexican restuarant once" story.

Not only did we witness each other's first kiss, but yes ladies and gents, we kissed the same boy... in the same night. Even though some of you may not relate to these exact instances, I'm sure you have someone in mind while reading this.

There's something beautiful about being young. Everything seems to last. There was not a doubt in my mind that she and I would conquer the world together. Someone else may have taken over from here, but they might get the boring part, huh? We harassed people on the game show network website, failed at lemonade stands more times than I can count... (maybe its because we used extremely watered down "Country Time") we dressed up as mustard and ketchup for Halloween, we got second place in the science fair (still don't know how), and we told everyone there was salmonella in Cheetos. However, you never know what the future holds. Cheers to not knowing the future, but celebrating the past.

Love always,

Nacho.