I'm That One Liberal Girl Living In A Conservative Small Town

You know, the one you called a "Commie."

39
picjumbo.com

Yes, I’m that one small town liberal.

The one that drove around in a Subaru Outback that was covered in "NO DAPL" and "SAVE OUR LAKES" bumper stickers. The one that walked to the farmer's market every weekend to buy local vegetables. I’m that one person who carried a water bottle everywhere and refused to use plastic bottles. I’m the person you passed that was hiking a trail while you flew by in an old truck on your way to go "mudding."

I’m the one who spent all my spare time volunteering in the local Democratic campaign office, sitting at that desk for five or six hours a day just to greet the three people that stopped by. I lived in the house with the “Hillary for President” sign that you kept stealing, and I begrudgingly kept replacing. I was the person that was at your door campaigning for Bernie Sanders when you screamed at me, "I don’t like commies!" and you slammed the door in my face.

I was the student in class who used every opportunity to relate our discussion to womens' equality or climate change. I’m the one who lectured for fifteen minutes about how we should shut down Pipeline 5 that runs under the Straits of Mackinaw.

I’m not angry that I grew up in a conservative town – if anything it solidified my beliefs. I had to learn how to communicate and argue my beliefs, sometimes with people decades older than myself. Being a liberal in a small, conservative town forced me to research political controversies and have an arsenal of facts prepared for the inevitable moment when my beliefs would be questioned.

I know that you’re not, and probably will never be, thankful for me. You called me a "snowflake," "dumb hippie," anti-American, and so many other names. Nevertheless, I am thankful for you. I am thankful that you made me defend my beliefs and made me more knowledgeable about our political climate. And one day, when you look out over your beautiful lakes and forests, I hope that you’re finally thankful for me and my efforts to protect our beautiful environment.

Sincerely,

You Friendly Local Small-Town Liberal