A Letter to the 3 Individuals who Painted the Rock

"your future will never be the same just because of one night at 1:20 in the morning with some spray paint and a sin."

31
Mckenzie VanLoh

Dear 3 guys who painted the rock,

When I woke up last Wednesday morning, I did not know I would endure a dull ache in the pit of my stomach as I walked back to my apartment. I did not know how upset I would be from this long ignored issue lurking across the nation, only to be brought here to my sheltered little Bethel Bubble; a place I most frequently call home. A place where so many students are completely oblivious to the harsh realities of society and racial injustice. Where Christ followers walk. Where students know well enough that God has breathed light into their lives, and the least we can do to repay Him is love each other like we love ourselves. Not hate. Not discriminate. Not initiate racism.

They painted the rock as a symbol to not only recognize those who lost their lives in this fight for justice -- like Philando Castile, Jamar Clark, and countless others -- but it was a statement that racism is still a problem.

We didn't think it would hit so close to home, but you three shook our entire world without warning making it clear to us that racism still exists and it's closer to us than we think. It's in the faces of our fellow classmates, like you three.

I'm sure you're living a life full of pain and sorrow right now. I'm sure you're kicking yourself because you let the devil coerce you into spraying, "Black Lives Matter = racist and double standard."

That terrible statement. The visual of that dripping black paint now permanent in your brain and seeping in your heart, never to be washed away.

I'm sorry for you three. I'm sorry you committed a sin so great that all of Bethel is in pain, too. I'm sorry it lead to this. I'm sorry you didn't realize until now how your words would hurt so many people, and your future will never be the same just because of one night at 1:20 in the morning with some spray paint and a sin.

Therefore, I hope you've learned your lesson. I hope you realize now that the people of Black Lives Matter need to be heard because of people who commit actions like yours. I hope you realize they wake up every day with the fear of being judged by the color of their skin lingering in the back of their minds.

I also pray that you come forward and own up to your actions because I feel like that's the least you could do for, not only the Black students and faculty at Bethel, but the rest of Bethel as well. We need to be at peace. Take it by 2 Corinthians 12:9, "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

So scream it from the rooftops. Let it be known that you did it, take refuge in God's love and thank Him with all your heart for still loving you after dsicriminating against His sons and daughters.

Yours truly,

a Bethel student who was affected by your sin