Lets Talk About Twerkenstocks

Lets Talk About Twerkenstocks

Birkenstocks, are they friend or foe?

49
Lets Talk About Twerkenstocks
Bustle.com

I consider myself to be a trendy 20 -year-old who keeps up with the majority of the new fashion trends that come along. I wear a chocker and a button down jean skirt. I throw on a pair of oversized ripped "boyfriend" jeans from time to time, even though 1. I don't have a boyfriend 2. probably wont for a long time and 3. Definitely will not attain one with how shitty these jeans make my butt look.

All other trends aside though, the one I find myself internally struggling with is the jesus sandal that is the Birkenstock. After this past summer, and returning to campus in the fall, I cannot seem to escape them. Maybe I cannot relate to this trend because I don't carry a bag of granola around in my purse at all times or casually drop hundreds of dollars on a music festival ticket. Or maybe I'm just having trouble looking at them because I constantly see flashbacks of these...

I know, that was unsettling to look at and I apologize for that, but we must revisit this trend so history does not repeat itself. I was very surprised to find out that this throwback piece of footwear is actually in fact Birkenstock brand. Maybe I didn't know that because my mom definitely bought me the knock-off Airwalk pair from Payless. Anyway If the jesus sandal this past summer is any indication of the upcoming trends this fall, then I have a strong feeling that this closed-toe clog is returning soon and that scares me.

How far is too far though? Boys have started to pick up the trend, which is fine. Waddle I'm looking at you. I respect a well-dressed man that keeps up with the trends. When it gets colder, is the Birkenstock-sock combo going to become an actual thing? Isn't that kind of similar to wearing those webbed toe socks with flip flops? This shoe has successfully replaced the rainbow. So basically it has accomplished the impossible. Whats next on its horizon? Replacing the duck boot? I feel weird.

Alright, now that I got that all off my chest, Im going to try to transform into a positive person in the next 2 minutes. The Birkenstock has great arch support. The neutral colors that are offered will actually match every single outfit combination. The shoe is designed to mold to your foot and become more comfortable with each wear. Finally they are casual and insanely easy to throw on.

Lets make a deal. "Y'all" (I don't use this phrase because i'm not from NoVa) keep wearing your Twerkenstocks while you eat your food truck noodles on the Drillfield and continue being the trendy Virginia Tech students that we all know you are and I will accept you and your footwear choices, even if it means making aggressive eye contact with you so I don't accidentally glance down at your feet.