Let's Bring The Dance Back To The Dancefloor

Our grandparents did it right.

34

The Cake Walk, Two Step, Charleston, Square Dance, Jitterbug, Swing, the Twist, Disco—the past century of America sure knew how to boogie. As much fun as we might make of our ancestors’ moves, you’ve gotta admit—it looks like a hell of a lot of fun. If you’ve seen "Footloose," or "Grease," and let’s not forget good old "Dirty Dancing"—then you probably are familiar with that “I wish I was them” feeling as the characters lift and twirl and hand jive the night away.

Now let’s take a look at today’s dance scenes—and I’m not talking about the ballroom dance club or your ballet class—I am talking about parties, the club, events: social dancing. What do you immediately think of when you think of social dancing today?

Exactly. Not only is it not particularly elegant... or charming....

It does not require any skill. Plus its kind of straight up uncomfortable for just about everyone involved.

Let’s admit it, our generation has reduced the definition of “dancing” to merely bouncing up and down and nodding our heads to a bass, or as an excuse to get dirty in public.

The fact is, unless you’re a hip hop master like the guys on "Step Up," you probably have no actual knowledge of social dancing at all.

It wasn’t always like this you know. Once upon a time dancing was common knowledge—something you learned with your manners. It was the main way for men and women to have contact with each other, and was a skill people took pride in.

Imagine what the bars would look like if everyone suddenly grabbed a partner, twirled them in a few elaborate circles, slid them between their legs, and finally hoisted them into the air. Yes, just like Baby and Johnnie. How. Awesome.

And with the music we listen to today, think of all the crazy incredible things we could come up with! Our bar scene could change from an atmosphere of pulsing bodies to one of excitement, talent, and real, fun human interaction—something bar talk and grinding usually lacks for.

Most girls would attest that those few guys who actually attempt to dance in this sense (even if they fake it) are far more remembered than the ones who come up from behind.

So friends, meet me on the dancefloor and let's bring the groove and the class and the romance back to the party scene.