You're Making Progress...Even If You Don't See It

It is not about seeing the progress, it is about feeling it.

38

Sometimes, it is hard to know, especially in a virtual world for the most part, if the things we are doing and engaging in really have any meaning. Within the past two days, I have spent approximately 11 hours on Zoom which does not even include the times that I am on my laptop or other devices doing work, connecting with loved ones, or watching Netflix or YouTube. We are living in a world run by technology. Huge projects that would be done in-person are no longer possible due to COVID-19, but yet they go on. It is hard, and it is truly exhausting, but it's too hard to turn away because those are the only connections we are able to make right now due to the pandemic. In a way, I see this as a new lifestyle that we were headed towards before the pandemic, but Ms. Rona just sped up the process. Ultimately, it is cheaper to throw big events in a virtual environment, it is more efficient and can reach a broader range of people, and it is truly accessible to anyone that has a device that allows them to tune in.

I am sure all of you reading this are making progress in your specific fields, whether it is through a special project, school or career oriented area, even personal projects...but how do you truly know you are doing this? Maybe you know you're doing it through the faces on your Zoom camera telling you that you are...but can you feel it? Can you feel and admire the connection you have within yourself and your work? If no, you should do some reflection to really give yourself all the credit you deserve.

Write things down on paper, I promise it helps! It makes things more real, and it allows me to feel like I am actually making progress in the real world, not just making it up.

Sometimes, it is not about seeing the progress, it is about feeling it.