Why would she say that to me?
Life Stages

Let People Enjoy Things

Because honestly, who cares?

90
Let People Enjoy Things
Carson Armstrong

Growing up, I undoubtedly had my share of insecurities. I often fluctuated between craving approval and not wanting to stand out. Adolescence tends to have that effect on girls. I was aways the super girly-girl who listened to One Direction and loved dressing up. With fads ever-shifting, I felt that I needed to be edgy or wild to keep up with trends. It wasn't until I was a senior in high school that I realized that it shouldn't matter what others believe. I like what I like and that should be enough for me.

Labels are everywhere and I think I have always known this. I don't know if I am just now becoming aware of them, but college has shown me that people love to put other people in boxes. They like for everyone to fit a certain description and if they are in a box other than theirs, they are "weird". I'm sure I have been guilty of this action myself, it appears to be human nature.

I remember being labeled while I was going through sorority recruitment last fall. One of my (then) friends rushed with me but ended up dropping on the very last day. When I tried to talk to her about it, she said she didn't want to be labeled as a "sorority girl". I had no idea how to react to this statement. Why would she say that to me, a soon-to-be sorority girl? I have stumbled upon countless tweets and Instagram posts bashing sorority girls. However, it's not just a problem with greek life. I recall countless phases of twitter where the jokes are aimed towards a certain label, like "horse girls" or "theater kids". Why do we make jokes pertaining to specific groups?

In short, let people enjoy what they enjoy. Just because their "thing" may not seem appealing to you, doesn't mean you have to bash it. I remember being told by my parents before I came to college that I will always be labeled for something. No matter what path I chose, I will carry that label with me wherever I go. Might as well carry a label that you love.