6 Things I Learned From My 6 Internships Throughout College

You should not wait for your supervisor to assign some work to you. Instead, go ahead and pitch ideas for projects that you would like to work on.

147

Internships play a huge role in helping students secure a full-time job after graduation. Nowadays, college journeys are incomplete without doing at least one internship. From being a blogger to a social media intern, I was fortunate enough to have gotten the opportunity to do 6 different internships throughout my college journey. So here are 6 things I learned from my 6 internships!

1. Take constructive criticism well

Internships are all about feedback. This is how you develop new skills and improve your previous skills. You must not get offended if you receive negative feedback. Instead, take that as an opportunity to better your skills. If your internship supervisor is not providing you feedback for your work, you must ask them to give you some feedback because that is how you will improve.

2. Be a self-starter

The biggest thing I learned from my internships was to take the initiative. You should not wait for your supervisor to assign some work to you. Instead, go ahead and pitch ideas for projects that you would like to work on. This shows that you are a self-starter and can impress your supervisor. You never know when your internship could turn into a full-time job!

3. Work in teams

I have never had an internship where I was not required to collaborate with other interns. This is the perfect opportunity to learn how to work in a team. It's important that you learn how to work in unison because when you get a job, you will have to collaborate with other employees some way or the other. And as they say, teamwork makes the dream work!

4. Network with professionals

85% of jobs are filled through networking. Internships are a good way to network with professionals in the industry. It is essential to build a relationship and seek advice from the people you interact with at your internship. It is always a good idea to connect with other fellow interns and employees on LinkedIn.

5. Become a decision maker

Your supervisor won't always be there to guide you during your projects. There will be some decisions that you will have to make yourself. Be confident as you make these creative decisions and trust yourself.

6. Improve communication skills

My oral and written communication skills have improved tremendously by doing internships. This is one of the top ten skills employers are looking for in a candidate. When you interact with your supervisor and other interns, you develop communication skills like active listening and public speaking, which are essential in all workspaces.

Don't forget to send a thank you email to your supervisor at the end of your internship. Lastly, remember to have fun!