6 Things I Learned After Visiting London

6 Things I Learned In The First 7 Days Studying Abroad In London, Like How Easy It Is To Get Lost

The Tube is equal to a maze.

733
Personal Photo

I am studying abroad in London this semester and I absolutely love it so far. The city is beautiful and full of such rich, elegant culture. I've been here for around a week and even in that short of time, I have learned a few things about what it is like to be a Londoner and some things that are MUCH different than in the U.S.

I am so excited to be here for four more months and learn even more things about living in this city.

1. The tube is very confusing at first, but it's easy once you get the hang of it

To say I was confused the first time I was on the tube would be an understatement. There are so many lines, transfers, platforms, and directions. It felt like a big maze. But with the help of Google Maps and a few trips under my belt, it became easier and now I feel like I know my way around.

2.  The crosswalks don't line up across the street and it's simply wrong

Crossing the street is way harder than it should be here. The crosswalks to walk across the right and left lane roads almost never match up, and I just don't get it. It makes crossing the street a challenge and that should not be difficult. I'll get used to it soon, hopefully.

3. Pay close attention to the roads, or you will get hit

They drive on the other side of the road here. Because the way we drive in the U.S. is ingrained in my brain, it's been really hard to get the hang of it here. My friends have had to put their arm out in front of me to get me to stop because I was looking the wrong way and was too close to getting hit by a car. I'm starting to get better at it, but I definitely look at the road multiple times each way before I cross.

4. Portion sizes in the US are astronomically too big

Restaurants here give smaller portion sizes, but it makes much more sense. I've found myself full after every meal, whereas in the US I would try and finish the larger meal because I don't want to waste any food. It's better for the environment and health to not have such large portions. Kudos to the restaurants here!

5. Don't talk loud on the tube

You will get weird looks. A lot of people go to and from work on the tube and use it as their main source of transportation, so don't be an annoying tourist and bug the locals. Have quiet convos on your way to your destination. Even better, pick up a book and read like many of the locals do.

6. London is an unreal city

You can learn so much about the city and all it has to offer just by walking around. I am so excited to be able to wander and adventure all over London for the next four months.

Hey, maybe I'll even come back with a little bit of an accent or at least some fun new British slang words.