What I Learned My First Semester of College

1. Apply for your dorm ASAP

I applied for my dorm as soon as I could, which thank goodness I did. I was able to land a room with a bathroom I only had to share with three other people. I was really excited to meet my new roommate, until I got a message on Instagram.

The message was my future roommate asking me to find another room, in a not so nice way. Apparently she had someone she wanted in the room with her. I messaged her back, being very nice, saying I would but I was worried there wouldn’t be another room I could stay in. At my University the dorms without community bathrooms get filled up extremely quick. She read it and didn’t reply. I thought everything was fine. Then she messaged me later being really rude. I finally decided to contact residence life and they found me the last vacant spot in the dorms I wanted.

2. Where there is a will there is a way

My first month was pretty harsh, I was sick most of the summer and wasn’t able to walk or get up at all by myself. About a week and a half before college began I was finally able to get up and walk. My first month I was not only getting familiar with college but also trying to rehabilitate. I went to class as much as I could and also slept as much as I could, but by the time my third month came around everything was fine.

3. Skip the freshman Kumbaya crap

If you have taken a single college class online or at a University, have ever stayed away from home for more than a couple days, or are independent at all – you don’t need it. I didn’t go. I took the opportunity to go around looking for jobs and familiarizing myself with the campus.

4. Workstudy!!

Get a workstudy job and apply during the summer. I wasn’t able to apply during the summer for obvious reasons, but when I got to my University I applied to as many places as I could as soon as I could. I almost didn’t get my job because I was so late in applying, but I finally did. I worked at the information desk.

5. Find Something Fun to Join, Preferably for Credit

I was able to write for both the yearbook and newspaper staff which really gave me something to do, at times too much, but that’s college. You are either really bored or really busy. I was also able to join Henderson State University’s Odyssey and become an editor-in-chief which will look really good on resumes later. Since I’m in yearbook I am going to be a workstudy for them next semester.

6. Make Friends

I was lucky, two of my best friends wound up coming to the same college as I, but we are all really busy and don’t get to hang out very much. I managed to make friends with my roommate and some of her friends, some of my co-workers, and most of the yearbook staff.

7. Go to events

Events at college are fun and sometimes you can score free stuff! They also help you learn more about your community and opportunities you may have.