37 Things Growing Up Has Taught Me

37 Things Growing Up Has Taught Me

Things that I've learned that help me get through the good and bad days.

207
37 Things Growing Up Has Taught Me
Hannah Clements

Growing up is hard. Sometimes it is really fun. And sometimes you cry three times in one day. I'm not talking about the beginning of adulthood when you graduate from high school and move away to college or begin your work life. I'm speaking of the gradual, haunting realization of the hurt in this world that you first see a glimpse of when you are a child. The feeling grows worse as you get older. This world is so broken and it is important that we try to make it, ourselves, and others better. Here are some things that growing up has taught me, and some things that are worth remembering:

Laughter really is the best medicine.

Worrying won't fix a thing.

Sometimes homework can wait.

The relationships you share with others are the most important thing in your life besides your relationship with God.

Be spontaneous and adventurous.

Take as many pictures as you want. Post them if you want.

Stress needs to be managed.

It's OK to cry sometimes.

Good friends are essential to a happy life.

Make it a priority to love others.

Focus more on the good than on the bad.

For goodness sake, be responsible.

Don't forget to love yourself.

Take long walks and read good books.

Be careful what you try to find fulfillment in.

Don't be too obsessed with your body image.

Eat healthy foods and exercise.

Call your parents and tell them you love them.

Be silly.

Tell the truth.

Be humble and kind (thanks, Tim McGraw).

Be encouraging, you never know what someone is going through.

Be nice, even to those that you don't like.

Don't be afraid to be who you are and express yourself.

Get some sunshine.

Write down important things.

Forgive yourself.

Let go of things that you cannot control.

Go out of your way to be nice to someone.

Strive to be the best you can be.

Sometimes you don't need to say anything.

Be a good listener.

Have fun and be a fun person.

Realize that looks aren't everything.

Find your worth in God, the only one that can satisfy your soul.

Remember the importance of rest.

You won't regret being kind, but you will regret not being kind.

Some days are worse than others, and when these days happen, I like to be reminded that the good far outweighs the bad. Sometimes when we are stuck in our own stink cloud of a bad day, it is hard to see the good from the fog. But remember, things will get better. And if they don't, consider where you are standing, and just maybe, you can do something different to make it better. Here's to days full of sunshine and joy.