Learn New Things While You're Young

Learn New Things While You're Young

Learning while you're young is the best gift to yourself

63
Learn New Things While You're Young
Alexis Brown https://unsplash.com/photos/omeaHbEFlN4

I think that learning new things in school, from new opportunities, and clubs or sports you're involved in while you're young is a healthy and positive thing to do. We all learn from our mistakes in life and feel like we are all in a rush because of society's social norms. What are you in a rush for? I am almost a college graduate and I don't have the mindset anymore of being in a rush to get a job. I am not in a rush to get a job anymore because that type of mindset stresses me out for no good reason. In a class, I learned a different way to view the job process. It is called Seek to Learn, Ask Yourself. It includes the question, what is my "north star." Does the north star involve what are my passions, strengths, and values?

You may or may not know what your passion is but the answer is it's okay. Don't push yourself to rush your path and journey in any way. I have learned that getting a job does not happen overnight and that is why whatever you learn while you're young, take the advice or possibly a speech a guest speaker says because it will help you with your journey. The best thing you can do for yourself is not to be in a rush and to go your own pace. Everyone's journey and career path are different. A question to ask yourself is about the world around you.

Am I curious? Do I make connections and associations? In this society, we want to make our parents proud about our achievements, but you can also take the time to learn new things about yourself that you may not even know about or learn about what leadership skills you have.

It is so important that people take all the resources that are available because it will help with their future. A lot of college graduates research what employers want, the skills, and their expectations because to have a better understanding about entering the real world. Majority of universities/ colleges have resources open to students so they have the opportunity to learn new things.

Students can learn from their mentors and people they look up to. In my college experience, I have learned from my mentors and professors as well to ask about how I can gain more experience/ making connections. I think once young college students in their 20's are used to networking and making connections, they are able to explore their options.

An advantage of learning new things while people are young is to work on a specific skill set that employers may be looking for. A few skills employers want from recent college graduates is teamwork/collaboration, leadership, critical thinking and problem solving (Western Michigan University). I think what is important to remember is everyone's career path is different and visualize what you would like to see in your future.