Kim Kardashian Is Using Her Privilege For Good

Kim Kardashian Is Using Her Privilege For Good, She Deserves A Little Credit

Maybe it's time we start demanding our celebrities actually contribute to the common good.

6

Depending on who you ask, the Kardashians are either the most likable or the least likable people on the face of the planet. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that Kim Kardashian's been the ringleader of the Kardashians, if not at least the most forefront/the one that paved the way for the others. Granted, their rise to fame was built on the back of less conventional means but that's not to take away from the monumental achievement of remaining relevant for at least a decade.

That being said, you can definitely say I was surprised to learn that Kim was studying to become a fully licensed lawyer by 2022. California is one of four states in the U.S. that allows citizens to take the bar exam through alternative methods other than going through law school. This all started when Kim personally went to the White House to convince Trump to grant clemency to Alice Johnson, a 63-year-old woman who was serving life in prison for a first-time, nonviolent drug charge. Since then, she's helped free over a dozen people from jail for similar charges.

And honestly, I don't think we've paid enough attention to this storyline or given it the credit it deserves. Kim could have lived the rest of her life very comfortably off of reality TV, social media and cosmetics money. But she chose not to and instead dedicate a huge amount of her time and effort into a cause that she felt strongly in.

We should be encouraging our public figures to do things like this because their platform reaches such a wide audience and people more often than not care about what they have to say. For instance, Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore have helped free more than 6,000 children from sex trafficking. A lot of celebrity charity work is for optics or not something they truly care about or are deeply involved in. But if you sift through all that you'll find stories like Kim's, Ashton's and Demi's, and we definitely need more of those.