Trying Isn't Enough Anymore

Trying Isn't Enough Anymore

"Make moves or make excuses"

-Andy Mineo

2145
Trying Isn't Enough Anymore

In life, we all go through various trials and tribulations. When it comes to working through a situation, we tend to say, “I’m trying my best” or “I’m attempting to make it better”. Some problems can take a day to work through, and others may take longer. No matter the time frame it takes to resolve the issue, why just attempt when we can simply do?

According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, to “do” means to carry through (as a process) to completion. In the same dictionary, the word “try” is defined as making an effort to do or accomplish something. Do you see the difference between the two words? Doing is moving; Trying is treading. It isn’t just about the words we speak, but it is also a mindset.

Saying we are trying can leave the door open for excuses to not put forth our best efforts. Saying we are doing forces our mind to stay motivated and to move forward. Following through on doing pushes our minds to stay positive that we can reach our goals. Whether it be getting a new promotion, winning a contest, or even working through an issue with a friend, doing is the only true way that makes moves.

Somewhere in the middle of “try” and “do” is the word “attempt”. The word “attempt” is defined as to try to perform, make, or achieve; there is that word “try” again. Trying does mean to make an effort, but it doesn’t say anything about conquering the issue. Doing is the only word, of these three, that means exactly that. Since we now know the definitions of these words, dare I ask what you are doing about your current situation?

As I’ve been working through some situations in my own life, I have had some close friends tell me to stop trying and start doing. About a month passed before this concept started to click in my head; now I hardly ever use the word “try”. Trying wasn’t putting my best efforts forward. Trying was making excuses to not move on. Trying simply wasn’t enough.

We can say, “I’m trying” all we want. We can say, “I’m attempting to” all we want. How about we change the narrative to, “I am”? “I am”, “I will”, and “I declare” is a mindset. “I’m trying” is also a mindset; what are you choosing?