Just 10 things you should know
Life Stages

Just 10 things you should know

To my little sister...

149
Just 10 things you should know

Allison,

Holy cow. I feel like I was just wishing you a happy 12th birthday, and now you're 18? And going to college? Where did the time go? We have shared our childhood together, and for that I am blessed.

I always wanted a little sister, so when you stared at me at church every Sunday, and we became friends, it was a dream come true. You were just what I needed. You have pissed me off, made me annoyed to the point of, what I thought was no return, left me worried like no other (prom, meeting boys at parks, etc.), but you also given me an unmeasurable amount of happiness, and have made me so proud to call you my sister.

College is weird. It's exciting, and very scary at the same time. So I have compiled some of my notes, from personal experience, and some not, to give you a little break down of from what I have learned thus far. Hold on to your seatbelt...

1. Don't be afraid to call your mom. She will miss you like no other, but won't want to call you first because she won't want to bother you. Call her. Tell her every single thing about your day. It will mean the world to her to know you care so much to call (even if you just need to vent or tell her how cute the dog you saw was).
  2. "Staying in" doesn't mean you "aren't cool". If you're tired and feel like just watching Netflix while all of your friends are hitting every frat party on the block, stay in. I promise the frat houses will be there next week, with the same jungle juice as the week before. Do what's best for you. That brings me to my next bullet point...
  3. Listen TO YOURSELF. If you feel like a boy is bad news, he is. If you feel like you've had too much to drink, you probably have. Find a friend, get home, order cheesy bread, and drink lots of water. (BUDDY SYSTEM. ALWAYS). And if you're tired, and have the chance to sleep, GO TO SLEEP. Your body and you know best.
  4. Keep in touch with your high school friends, but don't be too worried if they don't try too. They are off meeting their "people", and making way in their new lives. I promise they won't forget about you, even if it feels like they have. And when you come home for breaks and summers, things will be as if they have never changed.
  5. Nourish yourself. Treat yourself. You need to eat. The freshman 15 is VERY scary at first, until you soon realize, it really isnt as real as people make it up to be. Don't change your habits, and you'll be just fine. Buut... dining hall desserts are flame, and the ice cream bar is hard to resist. Treat yourself after exams, and after a stressful day/week, just remember moderation is key.
  6. Get in some exercise. Not to lose weight, or for any sort of goal, but simply because college is STRESSFUL af. It is a designated time to get your mind off of social media, people, and classes, and to focus on just yourself for 30-45 minutes. Even within that short period of time, it is amazing how refreshed you will feel.
  7. Just because your friends stay on campus until the next major break, doesn't mean you have to. If you miss your mom or dad, or even your favorite restaurant, go home! No one says you can't. You're close enough to hop on a bus and be home in less than 3 hours. Trust me, sometimes all you need is a weekend at home to feel 110% rejuvenate. (Plus, your parents treat you like royalty when you come home, just wait you'll see;))
  8. Be yourself. Don't change yourself for anyone or anything (*hint* boys, *hint hint* a specific sorority). You are at a school with 25,000 people. If you don't find friends who fit you, just try the other 24,998. You will find friends. It will take time. But it will be worth it.
  9. Don't kill yourself over an exam. Yes it's an exam, and I kill myself over every single one, but if you study and don't do well, there is nothing you can do, but leave it behind you. You can't physically go into the grade book to change your grade, so what is the point in stressing about it? What you can do, is figure out a different way to study, and try it. Maybe try notecards the next time, or going in to more office hours, or maybe even just get more sleep the night before the exam. This is a time to learn from your achievements and rise from your mistakes. There is no right way to do anything, so just learn what is best way for you.
  10. Most importantly, know that you can call me, text me, FaceTime me, whatever, WHENEVER. I'm so sad that I can't be there for your first semester of college, but even more excited knowing you're going to have it all navigated by the time I get back. Even though I'll be across the world, I want to know everything that is going on in your life. About all of your friends, your sorority, your classes, the professors you love and hate, all of the boys you've HUGGED (nothing more pls), everything. I love you. I am here for you. And I am more than proud of the lady you've become. Chase your dreams, and do what ever it takes to reach them. Have fun. Party hard. Study harder.

Do big things little sister.

Love you always,

Marisa