Journalism Is NOT Dead

Journalism Is NOT Dead

Freedom of the press is relevant

51
Journalism Is NOT Dead
likesuccess

What does “news” mean? To many people, the first thought that comes to mind is that news is a written or verbal report of the current events that occur daily. Urban Dictionary believes that it is an acronym that stands for Never Ending Whiner’s Society in reference to the amount of complaining done by journalists and the media. Another definition from Urban Dictionary refers to news as a pubic record of all the horrible things that happen in the world.

“Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations.” — George Orwell

In light of current political events, it is apparent that journalism has been placed under a bright spotlight. The term “fake news” has been created by President Trump for the sole intention of contesting the truth. His own tweets portray his desire to end powerful news companies and disband their freedom of speech. Trump can argue that he hates the press, however there is no doubt that he loves to be in the center of attention. The consensus here is that Donald Trump only disregards the media corporations that call him out on his unreasonable behavior.

Journalists have the opportunity to work as investigators. Their only intention is to find, write/vocalize, and share the truth to the American people and communities around the world.

Freedom of the press is defined as a right guaranteed in the United States by the first amendment for journalists to print whatever they want without government control. Why, then, are we allowing our President to alter this amendment? Why are we allowing our President to convince the nation not to listen to certain news outlets? Why are we allowing our President to persuade the world that journalism is dangerous and wrong?

Without journalism, people around the world would not be aware of the happenings around the world that effect our daily lives and experiences. News may be portrayed as negative and ill-willed, however it will continue to play a crucial role in the understanding and knowledge of current events, beginning in our local communities and ending in D.C.

Journalism is NOT dead. It is imperative that we understand the importance that the news and media play in our lives on a regular basis.