Why You Should Start Journaling

I Started Journaling And It Changed Everything, Here's Why You Should Start

Journaling is like whispering to one's self and listening at the same time.

157
Writing

Ever since I was little, I would love writing and putting my thoughts on paper. Writing in a journal is a way of healing. It's a way of communicating with yourself. When I was younger, I would write in what I called a diary. I would write about what happened in school that day, or about my crush, or practically anything. I am now able to look back on those diaries and I can read all about my life in the past and laugh at it. Or cry. Or reminisce. Either way, it didn't hurt to keep a record of the things that occurred in my life.

In fact, self-reflection is very healthy. Whether it's about negative or positive thoughts you were having or a relationship that you went through, journaling allows you to look back at how much you've changed or how far you have come. It allows for a realization of certain things in your life.

According to Psych Central in an article titled "The Health Benefits of Journaling," there are many health benefits that journaling produces. To start off with, the University of Texas at Austin psychologist and researcher James Pennebaker contends that "regular journaling strengthens immune cells, called T-lymphocytes." Also, "other research indicates that journaling decreases the symptoms of asthma and rheumatoid arthritis." Writing about stressful events helps you come to terms with them and can help heal you.

In addition, when I am 50 years old, it would be nice to be able to read about how my life was when I was younger. We take photos and videos of the memories that we go through but we don't think that those memories can be easily deleted. The memories that you write down in ink will stay there forever. They will be there for you to read over when you want to take a stroll down memory lane. The image of me one day showing my kids honestly brings me joy.

Writing in a journal can also help you practice your writing skills. As you are writing stories or goals down in your journal, you use different vocabulary words and you may realize how some are spelled. Also, journaling improves your communication skills because it's a form of written communication, in a sense. It's a form of communicating with your journal on why you want something, why something happened, etc.

It even sparks your creativity, which is necessary to be happy. Creativity is basically a way for you to show your soul to the world. Lastly, it's a great form of self-expression because ultimately, you decide what you want to include and what you want to write.

I started journaling and I honestly feel like a healthier person mentally. I think it's a great thing to be able to reflect on your life and certain moments and memories. Journaling has allowed me to make lists, goals, and visually see myself grow. I honestly think everybody should practice journaling because it really does help.