"You's" Joe Shouldn't Be Romanticized

Joe From Netflix's 'You' Is A Psychopath And Shouldn't Be Romanticized

The scary part of it all, is this can happen in real life.

399

When I was younger my dad always taught me to keep my social media life very locked up. Don't accept anyone I don't know, keep my settings so my friends could just see them, and to not post my life on social media. As I've grown, those rules I once adhered to were not as prominent in my life. I have over 1,000 Instagram followers, a public account, and post about my life frequently. I forgot how easy it is to be preyed on until recently when I watched the new Netflix original show, You. In the show, it highlights all the risks it is to having your life posted on social media. While some people are concerned with the government watching everything they post, the real concern is the preying of strangers. At some point, we've all been there, either to find a roommate, ensure the person is someone you want to be friends with, or simply looking over someone you found attractive. Slight internet stalking has become a normal occurrence in day to day life, but in the show, it is taken past that level.

In the show the main character, Joe, primarily uses social media to learn nearly everything about a girl he met at work. He learns where she lives, her main friends, what her interests are, and the list goes on, to the point where he develops an obsession with her. The show brings to light an overlooked mindset and highlights just how creepy intentions could truly be. For instance, he took her furniture shopping for a new bed, which seems nice, but he did it after he watched her break her bed through her window. The actions may have been seen as chivalrous and romantic, but each has an underlying concept that leaves you unsettled.

Unfortunately many have taken to Twitter to try and defend his actions. The loveable, awkward, book store clerk, unfolds to be a sociopathic murderer, who justifies all the wrongs he does. The acts he does to protect his love interests from anything that may prevent them from happening is inexcusable. The character had gone psycho on a previous relationship as well, which was highlighted in the show. He excuses his actions with the fact of her cheating, and makes it seem acceptable. As one analysis his character, there are many parallels that convey to actual peoples lives. Justifying their wrongs of abuse, assault, and others by using minor occurrences the victim committed.

A twitter user defends Joe's actions. https://twitter.com/TheTylt/status/108090554761915... Twitter

The character Joe is insane with his actions towards his love interest, and only increasingly gets worse as the show goes on. While the swoon-worthy Penn Badgley did a terrific job portraying the dorky, book-loving character, he himself has had to tell people they should not be romanticizing the character. In response to a tweet that read, "Said this already but @PennBadgley is breaking my heart once again as Joe. What is it about him?", Badgley responded simply with: "A: He is a murderer". The thrilling show makes for an emotional whirlwind that is certainly worth a consecutive binge watch. What one truly takes away from this show is that social media is a terrifying tool in our society, and to be wary of any adorably awkward book clerks.