Jay Z’s NFL Deal Isn’t Going To Help Promote Social Justice, It’s The NFL’s Path To Forgetting Colin Kaepernick
Currently

When the deal was final he didn't even mention Colin, he only promoted his narrative of his global change.

68

Jay-Z, who has made himself into a self-made billionaire through his music and businesses is a person that you can look up to and admire. But, the leader of Roc Nation recently made a deal with the NFL to have his artists from Roc Nation provide entertainment for the NFL. Jay-Z will use this platform to spread his new global message about social injustice.

Now, this all sounds like a great business deal, but that's all it is. This all started back in 2016, when now-former NFL quarterback, Colin Kapernick decided to make a peaceful protest by kneeling during the national anthem. We know what Colin's message was and still has been ever since he has not been in the NFL.

Colin kneeled and lost his job to showcase his message and brought the issue of social injustice against minorities to a global stage. When he did, Jay-Z was all in on the support for him. On the season premiere of Saturday Night Live back in October of 2017, Jay-Z wore a black teamless Colin Kaepernick jersey showing his support for the quarterback.

Also, in September of 2017, he turned down the opportunity to perform at the Super Bowl LII halftime show. Furthermore, he was one of the main catalysts encouraging artists not perform for the NFL until Colin had a job.

This all seemed very genuine from Jay-Z, he went out of his way to support Colin and the causes that he kneeled for. But, as of recently that all seems like a distant memory. Jay-Z has not only turned his back on Colin but he has also sold out the league that reportedly blackballed the former quarterback.

I know some people will yell and get fired up and say, "He's a businessman! He's gotta make money!" Or "No one kneels anymore! Why should we care!" You are completely right he did take a business opportunity and yes he has to make money not only for himself but the other artists that he employes. You are right, besides Panthers safety Eric Reid, players are not kneeling as much. That's not the point.

The point is that Jay-Z is already a global celebrity in that he can spread a social justice issue any way he wants to. He didn't have to take this deal from the NFL. This was never Jay's fight, this was Colin's fight and Jay-Z took the money and stole the narrative. When the deal was final he didn't even mention Colin, he only promoted his narrative of his global change. We are not past the message that kneeling brought, but Jay thinks otherwise.

What furthermore has me fully convinced he sold out is that business deal such as these do not happen overnight. This deal had to have taken months and maybe a year or so in developing the fine print. So, Jay-Z was selling out while throwing his support at Colin. You can't have it both ways, even if you are married to Beyonce and worth an estimated $1 billion.

It's either you are all in or all out and Jay-Z has chosen to sell out and be all in with helping the NFL further blackball Colin Kaepernick. Jay won't take a massive hit for this, but I stand by my words. Jay-Z has sold out and that is a sad thing to realize.