College
Education

I Haven't Even Started College And I've Changed My Major

Sometimes you just know when you need to.

687
https://www.pexels.com/photo/books-classroom-close-up-college-289737/

If you're someone struggling with going to college, I get it. That's literally where I am, and now I'm writing this article to give you advice. Call that ironic.

This works for anyone: a parent trying to talk through college with their kid, a high school Freshman feeling like they need EVERYTHING figured out right now, or a high school Junior about to take the SAT and aren't sure what score they need because they don't even know what college they're going to or even if they're going to college.

Here's a tip: you don't need to know your major. My mom changed her major eight billion times for finally settling on Sociology because she had the most credits in that going into her senior year. She enjoyed it, so she figured she'd settle on that as her major. Now she's an author.

Sometimes, your major won't even matter when it comes to the career you go into. I know someone who majored in music education and didn't use her degree for her job for ten years.

I went into high school thinking I need to figure out EVERYTHING about my life right then. Since then, I've learned to somewhat go with the flow and let myself just figure the thing out as I go. I haven't even started my college classes yet and I've changed my major.

I felt pressured to declare a major because everyone else I knew at the time was. I felt like that just what you had to do, that's what everyone does! I've since learned that's not true. I had no idea what I wanted when I first announced my major: graphic design. I like art, I haven't had a ton of experience in it, but I do like it, why not? As I did my college orientation and I got to register for all of my classes, I realized I did not want to do this. The idea of going through school and spending all this money on it for four years when I didn't even really like it terrified me.

I didn't know what I'd want to do, though. So I looked into it and decided to double major in Theatre and Communications. This might change in the future as I grow as a person, but I'm okay with that.

You don't need to have your whole life planned out when you're going into college.