Have you ever accepted a ride from a stranger? Have you ever used Uber or Lyft? If so, you most definitely have. Since children, we've been brought up to be afraid of strangers. After all, we all know the phrase "stranger danger." Yet, we've come to socially accept the idea of getting into a random car with a person you know nothing about. What makes this situation any different?
People's longing to fit into society; therefore, conform to social norms has overridden this drilled in caution for survival. Therefore, this has dramatically influenced people's mindset on who or what they consider weird, safe, and suspicious. In reality, Ubers are 100% sketchy. Just look at recent events:

The night began like many others for Samantha Josephson, a 21-year-old University of South Carolina senior. But it ended far differently. According to KFOR, the senior decided to call an Uber around 2 a.m. Friday (March 29th) after being separated from her friends during a night out in Columbia, South Carolina. Thinking a black Chevy Impala was her uber, she got into the car without any hesitation.

That said, according to CNN, "about 14 hours later, turkey hunters found her body in a field 90 miles from Columbia."

Citing surveillance footage, Columbia Police Chief Holbrook stated, "What we know now is that she had, in fact, summoned an Uber ride and was waiting for that Uber ride to come...We believe that she simply mistakenly got into this particular car thinking it was an Uber ride."

The risks of using uber have always been the same; however, these recent events have shed light on such risks that society has longed ignored.

Bottom line: Be smart! If you're going to use Uber or Lyft, please travel in groups and stay together. Moreover, be an active bystander and look out for other people. Your actions could easily save a life, including your own.