Is It Okay to Support a Controversial Brand?

Where is the line between okay and not okay?

13
www.bustle.com

Maybe you’ve seen his face before, maybe you haven’t. Either way, Jeffree Star is one of the most prominent influencers in the beauty world. He is a successful recording artist, and a few years ago he launched his cosmetics company, which has grown immensely. His name is EVERYWHERE in the beauty community.

Jeffree is well known for his “don’t give a f**k” attitude, vulgar vocabulary, and confident self-expression. He spreads the message of doing whatever you want without caring what others think, which is a very positive thing to preach considering his massive following. However, a video surfaced awhile ago that sent the beauty world into a frenzy.

The video featured a younger Jeffree spewing racial slurs and inappropriate comments. This offensive and controversial video had large amounts of his followers pledging to never purchase from cosmetics brand again. Jeffree has since apologized for the video, pointing out that it was several years ago and he has grown from his mistakes. The whole situation provokes a question that can be applied elsewhere, too: can you purchase from a company without supporting their actions?

Jeffree’s fans take on different opinions about the matter. Some claim that despite his apology, the act is unforgivable. Others say that he has made a public apology, so it’s okay now. Still others believe that everyone makes mistakes in their past, and it’s okay to forgive and forget. But where is the line? What is “too unforgiveable” and what is acceptable to move past?

I believe that you can still purchase something from a brand without personally believing in the same things as they do. If the company is big enough (like Jeffree’s) the majority of your payment is going to help pay other employees who might not necessarily have said or done the thing in question. And besides, just because you really like a product doesn’t mean that if you buy it you automatically take on the negative ideals.

In the end, everyone will have different opinions on whether or not it’s okay to support a company. All that matters is that you are happy doing what you want. The choice is no one’s to make but your own.