The Irony Of Holiday Breaks For Commuters

"Are you going home for break?"......

11
Google images

If you're a commuter, you probably know the drill. Sitting in class the day before break, everyone asking each other when their last class is or when they get to go home. Students around you are excited to see their families, their pets, their beds, and home-cooked meals. But for you, the holiday break will be a bit different.

Holiday "break" for you probably means going into work earlier and staying later. Your boss is looking forward to those holidays and you certainly can't hide that they exist; your boss lives in the same town as you. Secondly, your family is not going to come rushing at you with loud exclamations and giant hugs. You'll arrive home, just like you do every day. You'll probably have lots of house chores to catch up on since you have "all this free time." You'll probably run errands and get your little siblings where they need to be. Thirdly, there will be no rushing to do your laundry or fix your favorite foods. Lastly, your life may not feel much different on a break. If you're commuting because you're money-minded, your most likely a hard worker and putting in those hours in any way you can. You probably still feel stretched thin between too many aspects of your life, but at least you can leave school out of the mix for a few days. Well, except for all that homework assigned for the assumed "free time."

After all of that, commuters may seem a bit cheated out of the holiday break. But in all honesty, commuters are blessed to have that family surrounding them on the regular, a meal whenever they need it, a place to stay, and real-life adult responsibilities. Nothing much changes for the holiday, but who says that's a bad thing?