How Getting Involved in College Might Save You

Listen to your peers and family when they tell you, "you should get out more!".

145
Ana Poposki

High school graduates are either so hopeful or dreading their transition to university. Looking back, I think I can classify myself as hopeful with a knot in her stomach, nervous with nausea, and stuffing everything she would need for her dorm in one suitcase. It's scary and exciting, it's new and unfamiliar. Much like the "Choose Your Destiny" books, all of the choices I would make that year would lead to a worn out, beat down version of me - a stronger version, but a very tired one.

It's been a little over a year since I left Northern Kentucky University, and looking back, a lot happened. I went through a lot - emotionally, mentally, spiritually, and academically. I went back a few weeks ago to visit one of my close friends who still attends the school (happily, I might add). He's very involved, is a part of a fraternity and has a position in said fraternity as their social chair. We walked around campus for forty-five minutes or so, silently taking in the small campus' beauty. I remember telling him, "It's hard to believe I hated it here". I asked him why he personally believed it was that I had such a disdain for my ex-school.

"You weren't involved enough." He told me simply. He was right.

I have always maintained a similar demeanor throughout my life. I like being social, but only for a couple of hours. I like meeting people, but I like to know I'm meeting them. I'm not spontaneous enough and it drives me mad that despite my opposition towards stagnancy, I can't go out and be myself fully just on a whim. It's a part of me that I am trying to change because a part of that stagnancy is due to the rules and boundaries I have set for myself, that were instilled in me as a child. I feel if I can break those rules, I can be free and allow my true colors to show no matter who I am with and where.

When you get involved in programs and extracurricular activities, you not only meet people, but learn more about the world around you and about what you're involved in. You gain new experiences that you will hold onto for the rest of your life. I want to break out of my shell, learn, experience new things, and grow from programs offered. Colleges want you to feel like you are home when you are on their campus and if you aren't involved, that won't happen. Trust me, I know from personal experience. I, for one, was so tired of sitting in my dorm all day freshman year and I am so excited to get involved in the many programs the University of South Florida has to offer.