11 Total Badass Women Every Young Woman Should Follow On Instagram

Like, scroll, be inspired, and carry on.

403
jameela jamil and stephanie beatriz

We live in a world where almost anybody with a smartphone has some form of social media. From Snapchat to Twitter to Instagram, we see messages every day that can affect our lives. We're constantly seeing pictures and quotes and status updates from people we know and others that we don't.

If you're anything like me, half of your Instagram feed is full of celebrities. I realized a few months ago, however, that not all of these celebs were putting out messages that people could be inspired by. I wanted my feed to reflect empowerment and female power and intersectional feminism.

I have compiled a list of 15 women that every young woman, like myself, can look up to on the 'Gram. So sit back, relax, and keep on scrolling.

Ellen DeGeneres 

Ellen's generosity, vibrant dance moves, and sparkling smile are all over her social media. She never fails to give back to the people who deserve it most. Plus, she gives a platform to people in Hollywood that you know and love while also bringing a few laughs to her audience at the same time.

Lupita Nyong'o 

You may recognize her from her role as Nakia in "Black Panther" or as Adelaide in "Us," but this woman is a rockstar on and off the screen. Her feed is full of fanart where she connects with her fans and more recently, the new of her new book release. It's about a book called "Sulwe" and is all about encouraging others to love the skin that they're in.

Awkwafina

You know her, you love her, and if you don't...you will. She makes people laugh and looks amazing at the same time. She attended the Oscars for the first time this year and wore a phenomenal pink jumpsuit. Awkwafina, keep slaying and thank you for creating opportunities for so many women. YOU ROCK.

Kacey Musgraves 

@spaceykacey's Instagram is one of the most colorful, bright pages I've seen in a minute. She encourages women to be BOLD all through those fun and fresh pictures on a social media platform.

Jameela Jamil

Jameela is all about feminism and body positivity. A series of her photos recently went viral when she called out other celebs in the media for endorsing ad's that focus on laxative tea's in order to obtain the "perfect image." You can also catch her on a cool li'l show called "The Good Place."

Reese Witherspoon 

Reese Witherspoon, you are a real-life superhero. I imagine her response to such a statement would be, "What, like it's hard?" Her Insta tells a story of advocacy, book recommendations, and snapshots into her life as an unproblematic, kindhearted cutie.

Stephanie Beatriz

Similar to her character on "Brooklyn Nine-Nine," Stephanie is a powerful force to be reckoned with and also a bi-con. Her gram is quirky and fun and her Insta-stories have Pride and the "Lego Movie" all over them. What more could you ask for?

Dodie 

YouTube is her main medium of media, but her Instagram gives unique insight into her life. She is real and vulnerable and kind and her aura is so so bright. Her music touches the soul and her Instagram page gives you a little taste of that.

Brie Larson

Captain Marvel IRL. She is out of this world. She is constantly advocating for people and standing up for what she believes in. She is a role model for young girls everywhere and you should definitely stop reading this article RN and follow her immediately. Seriously... what are you doing? Go follow her. Now.

Nicole Maines 

Are you noticing a trend? A lot of these ladies play badass heroes in TV or on the big screen but also have super powers IRL. She is an advocate for trans rights. She gives us insider "Supergirl" content. She inspires me. And her beautiful face should bless your feed like it does mine.

Janelle Monae

Not only does her music slap, but her feed his popping. Her bio is literally, "I am something that you'll never understand." Her impact is uncanny.

All of these women use media for the betterment of the world and for that I thank them.