Ingrid Michaelson Album Review: It Doesn't Have To Make Sense

Through poignantly introspective lyrics, Michaelson acutely captures universal human emotions.

61
Pop Break

Though Ingrid Michaelson has accumulated a collection of signature songs throughout her musical career, she has somehow never managed to become a household name. Perhaps it’s because her music speaks for itself and shines brighter without the ostentatious gimmicks that so often are what people remember. Fame, for her, initially began to amass with her 2007 song "The Way I Am"; it’s no wonder why it became so popular—her endearing, bright-eyed lyrics took center stage against a simple acoustic production. Her 2014 indie-pop sleeper-hit “Girls Chase Boys” with the famous lyric “All the broken hearts in the world still beat” and its subtle, pro-LGBT message showcased her knack for eloquently and effortlessly capturing universal emotions through lyric.

Her last album, Lights Out, (probably my favorite album ever), was experimental and musically diverse, teeming with brooding balladry, pop-rock anthems, warm love songs, and more. It was an exceptional record influenced much by her terminally ill mother, reflecting about the multilayered, complex strengths and weaknesses, celebrations and letdowns in a time of impermanence, of finding a sense eternity in a time sure to end soon. In the same vein, It Doesn’t Have To Make Sense, released Friday, August 26th, draws upon the period afterwards, of the dust and brokenness when it all ends and when the sunshine fades out, of picking up the remnants, and of trying to start anew. In the wake of her mother’s death and her divorce with musician Greg Laswell, Michaelson’s music is cathartic—after it all, she has emerged, stronger than ever. Though to me not quite as strong and sturdy as Lights Out, It Doesn’t Have To Make Sense is excellent for what it is and for only being ten tracks long.

Light Me Up

Opening with piano, the lyrics and instrumentation are simplistic at the beginning, but build up gradually to a swell of emotions and layered vocals and production. Through the repeated “We are, we are, we are tonight/ We are, we are, we are forever”, Michaelson touches upon some of the same themes as 2014’s Lights Out. It's a classic Ingrid Michaelson song.

Favorite Lyric: "I see you in the fireflies, and how extraordinary is that"

Whole Lot Of Heart

A gentle, romantic number about falling in love. Michaelson’s lyrics shines against the lush, slower-tempo instrumentation. “I said let’s build this kingdom now”. In an album often riddled with outright despair and strong emotions at the far ends of the spectrum, Whole Lot Of Heart is a pleasant, peaceful change.

Favorite Lyric: "I said, let's rule this kingdom now/ Let's live and love and tear it down/ to build it up"

Miss America

This finds Michaelson prodding fun of her quirky, nonconforming personality and juxtaposing it with the archetypal perfect American girl, but finding acceptance in that. The theme may be a bit cliche, but Michaelson puts a new spin on it. Instead of sounding like a brash rebel, she infuses the song with her own genuine, unadulterated personality.

Favorite Lyric: "I'm always crashing into something/ I'm always breaking up the part"

Another Life

One of my personal favorites of the album, Another Life is darker-edged and almost haunting sounding. The atmosphere, bolstered by puts an interesting take about feeling a connection with someone. The lower-toned, slower verses give away to a rich, soaring chorus with strings helping to carry out . The storming bridge is the climax of the song, elevating what already are some of her best lyrics.

Favorite Lyric: "It's in the galaxies and all the history books/ I think we shared another life, don't you?"

I Remember Her

This is the rawest, most stripped down ballad Michaelson has ever released (which is already an impressive number). Dedicated to her mother, Michaelson emotionally recounts memories of a bygone childhood spent with her. It’s hard for me not to shed a tear or two at the gut-wrenching descriptions and imagery.

Favorite Lyric: "There's a house that's not on a hill/ And the paint's chipping off of the old window sill"

Drink You Gone

Another standout track, Drink You Gone is piano-led ballad with orchestral arrangements faintly ringing in the background, mourning what seems to be an absolute heartbreak. It contains some of the most hitting yet relatable lyrics about loss in her discography: “Like a sinking ship while the band plays on/ While I dream you’re there, I can’t even sleep you gone”. The tentative yet dark verses, the impassioned chorus, and the delicately lilting bridge encapsulate all the various aching emotions that come with heartbreak. Throughout the song, Michaelson repeats the rhetorical “How do broken hearts get strong?” but shifts to“How do broken hearts go on?” at the end.

Favorite Lyric: “I can’t eat away the way that you ate my heart” and “When I dream you’re there, I can’t even sleep you gone”

Hell No

Released as the lead single, Hell No is a sprightly pop song with electronic elements. It’s a sassy, at times self-deprecating break-up track highlighted by an explosive chorus: “Hell no, watch me up and go!” In many of Michaelson’s songs she employs yelling vocals in the background, and in this case it works as well as ever.

Favorite Lyric: "You're not the Cash, and I'm not the June"

Still The One

Breezy acoustic-pop track interspersed with bouncy hand-claps. “Still The One” is a cute love song in the realm of Colbie Caillat; however, cute and exceptional are not mutually exclusive as this, too, is another standout and my personal second favorite. Though lighthearted and cheerful, there is a subtle undertone of past hurt being set aside for new love, coming through lyrics such as: “You saved my life, I saved yours too”.

Favorite Lyric: "I want to be here forever, all tangled inside your broken heart"

Celebrate

Michaelson preliminarily revealed that her album had understated country music bones, which are more apparent than ever in this track, led by acoustic guitar and containing the lyric: “Everybody’s got that window down, summertime, turn-it-up singalong”. “Celebrate” is a spunky anthem, about finding reason to rejoice like you once did.

Favorite Lyric: "Radio up, how you color me bad"

Old Days

A somber, piano-led album closer, Old Days elegantly reflects the contrast in themes of both recalling times of past and moving on beyond it all. It’ can get a little lost amongst all the other strong ballads in the album, but it’s a nice song nonetheless about the path to strength in the midst of depression. The one-line bridge is strong and captivating and moves to an ethereal, soaring territory.

Favorite Lyric: "Pack up the life that's left/ Except that one blue dress"