How to Improve Your Child's Studying Process

Child's Studying Process
716

Parents want their kids to succeed at their studies. There is a belief that good grades are a guarantee for getting the desired job in the future. It might and might not be true, but having an impressive GPA can't hurt. However, good grades come at a high cost of students spending sleepless nights writing papers and memorizing new material.

The reality of the studying process is harsh in that there are too many assignments and too little time for coping with all of them. There is always a need for extracurricular activities that take time. The personal life of a student is an essential part of their lives as well. So, how you as a parent can help your kids succeed without having a nervous breakdown?

The fact that we live in the 21st century is definitely a plus. There are many tools and resources you can suggest your children use. Here are the top 5 of them that have shown to be an effective support.

1. Microtutoring

If you've always imagined a tutor as someone you have to regularly have classes with, microtutoring will become a revelation to you. The concept is rather simple. If your child has a problem with a particular topic or assignment, there is an online tutor you can hire to help your kid. There is no need for regular meetings. Your child will contact a tutor only when there is an issue with homework. The most popular assignment students experience difficulties with is writing a research paper. A professional writer can make this task look easy and explain all of its pitfalls.

2. SQ3R

Unfortunately, this is not a password to an account with all the answers to all of your children's questions. It is an effective reading method that will help your kids memorize the information faster. It also makes sure they understand what they've learned. It is often the case when students remember a concept but can't explain what it is about. The key to passing a test and getting a high score is in understanding all the concepts discussed in the classroom. This is one of the ways to do it.

3. Interactive Learning Materials

If there is a topic that your children experience difficulties with, there's a high probability to find an online course dedicated to it. There are numerous resources where you can find tons of information on a specific topic of your choice. Khan Academy, Coursera, and many others offer free materials. Moreover, there's an interactive learning software you can download to simplify the studying process for your children.

4. Analytical Skills

Most of the homework assignments require students to use their analytical skills. There should be a clear understanding of how to help your children improve theirs. One of the ways is for them to read a book and then watch a movie. The exercise of comparing and contrasting the features of both of the works of art will not only bring them satisfaction but also broaden their outlook. It is a great opportunity to combine work and pleasure.

5. Learning a Foreign Language

Learning a new language is not only an exciting idea that can turn into a real asset when looking for a job in the future. It also improves one's memory. If there is an opportunity for your children to start learning foreign languages, encourage them to do so. There are multiple free online resources like Duolingo that use an easy interactive approach to make the learning less difficult and more fun. Ask your kids what language they would be willing to learn or make a small research on what languages will be good to know by the time they grow up.