If You Chase Your Dreams, You're Not Going To Catch Them

This local artist lives off of his own message.

153
Rico Edwards

People are always telling others to “chase your dreams,” but artist and businessman Rico Edwards believes otherwise.

Edwards believes that the power of speaking your dreams into existence is far more powerful than chasing a dream. “No one was brought here to be in second place. You need to speak what you want to do, believe in yourself and do the work.”

That’s exactly what he did for himself.

In 2007, he drew his first drawing that would be his brand in the years to come. He was at a Buffalo Wild Wings and drew a monkey on a napkin, and he's kept it ever since. When Edwards got to college, he realized he could develop and make something into this one drawing.

That's when Enigma Project came to life.

Starting in 2012 and until now, Edwards has evolved into a businessman, as well as keeping his roots as an artist. He’s been able to network, display his art at multiple shows and spread important messages he is passionate about.

In 2013, personal growth inspired Edwards to move to canvases. He went from a drawing on a napkin to hats, t-shirts and canvases. Edwards' canvases each have a message: “My goal with each painting is to get the message across.”

Edwards wants people to look at his work, take their time to understand it, and understand what he put into his work. All of his canvases have cartoon characters because “cartoons taught us a lot as kids, so when I put a message, it makes it powerful and visually interesting.”

These canvases represent many issues people ignore or don’t want to talk about. He sheds light on things we’re seeing in this world every day.

In 2015, Edwards got his company Enigma Project patented and trademarked. Edwards sells his canvases at art shows and through his online website. Everyone has a purpose and his is art. He has stayed true to himself and has grown not only as a businessman and artist, but as a person. He didn’t go into a career path he hates nor does he do it for the money, he does it because he’s passionate.

Edwards attended the University of Houston and earned his degree in painting. This allowed him to grow and develop his artistic talent and pursue his dreams. This is something we should all do in order to make our dreams a reality. Like Edwards, we should all Manifest our dreams and make sure they happen.