I Taught Myself Statistics After Not Taking Math For Three Years And Learned Both Math AND Life Lessons

Thank you, COVID-19!

11

When I signed up for classes for the fall semester, I thought I'd be learning in a classroom.

Instead, I had to teach myself in my Athens apartment asynchronously. That means I was the teacher.

I'm 1000% a right-brained person.

I've cried every year since 5th grade in math class in front of everyone. I used to pregame my math tests senior year by sitting in my assigned seat during lunch while my teacher played me the Rocky soundtrack.

Yeah, math really isn't my thing.

Was I going to take math in my first year of college?

Hell no! I was undecided, I had no reason to. The major I chose may not have required a math class. I declared my major second semester of college, but COVID-19 hit. It was going to blow over soon though, so I scheduled my class with a highly-rated professor. I was depending on good in-person instruction.

But then the class modality was revealed after a long summer of the unknown: the class would be asynchronous.

I struggled at first, I'll be honest. But I got the hang of it.

I made myself read the dull textbook chapters. I took my notes and watched my professor's recorded lectures. I did all the practice problems multiple times until I got them right. I made Quizlet after Quizlet. I studied hard.

I ended up getting an A- in the course!

The moral of the story is: you put in the work, you get the results.

Also, don't put off your math course if you need to take one. Take it while you're fresh. Trust me, you won't regret it.

And know that if you do put it off, remember that a global pandemic may force you to teach yourself your worst subject all on your own from your literal house.

On that note, good luck!