8 Things I Learned Sophomore Year​

8 Things I Learned Sophomore Year​

Some of the highlights of what I learned this past school year.

157
Sophia Orlando
Sophia Orlando

My sophomore year flew by so quickly! I cannot believe it's summer already! Here are some of the things my time at school has taught me.

1. It's Not Too Late To Get Involved

I made the mistake of not getting involved during my freshman year. I was constantly bored while my roommates had sorority events and other organization-sponsored activities to go to all the time.

I isolated myself and it was not good for my mental health. This year I got involved with a campus ministry, a sorority, and other organizations connected to my major.

2. Joining A Sorority Doesn't Guarantee Friends

When I decided to go through sorority recruitment, I expected that I would find my best friends in my sorority right away. This wasn't the case.

The whole first semester I didn't really connect with anyone or make good friends. I know a lot of girls dropped after the first semester but I powered through and I'm glad I did. I made a great group of friends second semester thankfully.

3. Time Management Is Everything

Since I became involved in some organizations I had a lot more things to juggle this year. I have always been good with time management but definitely built upon my skills this year.

I can genuinely say that I did not procrastinate very much at all and I spaced out my homework and other obligations in a way that was manageable.

4. Seasonal Affective Disorder SUCKS

This past winter was the worst winter I've had with seasonal affective disorder in a long time. I was feeling depressed all of the time and struggled to stay awake in classes. I probably spent more time sleeping than awake this winter. I hope that next winter isn't as bad.

5. Cooking Doesn't Have To Be Hard

This year was my first time living in my own apartment and having my own kitchen. I tried learning how to cook some simple meals and I figured out that it's not so hard after all. I made a lot of pasta and meat as well as wraps and roasted vegetables. One thing I found extremely useful was my roommate's air fryer. Those things are awesome. Seriously.

6. Faith Communities Are The Best

I finally found The Vine this year at school and couldn't be happier. This campus ministry has provided me with a small group of amazing women who support each other and rely on God. They helped me realize that I am wanted and worthy of true friends.

7. English Is The Right Major For Me

I declared my major as English Literature second semester of freshman year, unsure of whether I would stick with it. I know now that English is definitely the right major for me. I enjoyed all of my English classes and have learned a lot more about the career field. I even have a summer internship at a literary magazine!

8. This Man Means Everything To Me

This spring, after over four years of long-distance dating, this handsome man proposed to me. I was ecstatic to get engaged to the man of my dreams. He has always treated me like a princess but he has grown into a true man this past year. He is my rock, my best friend, and my forever love. He means the world to me.

So, as you can see, I learned a lot this year. I hope you did as well.