"Hushed" Topics

"Hushed" Topics

Why they're hushed but also why they shouldn't be.

46
"Hushed" Topics

You always hear people say don’t talk about religion or politics unless you want to get in a possible heated discussion. Sadly this is true. Whenever either of the two topics are brought up someone gets offended and it can lead to burned bridges with people. I personally hate the topics as well solely because of the bitterness it can bring however, I’m taking a new approach due to these three things…

1. These topics are important

Religion and Politics are important to not only society as a whole but individuals as well. Religion is the core of what someone believes and has been a major cause of many wars throughout history. Politics is running our country. They decide what laws are passed that affect the average person as well as major landmark cases in history and more to come in the future. These two things are the backbone of our country and very important to how we live.

2. They make us who we are

The morals and values that we hold cause us to support a certain religion and political side. When someone says their religion of who they’re voting for you can get a good basis on a person. Obviously, these aren’t the only things that make up a person however if someone goes to church twice a week it would be a big portion of their life. Religion and politics give insight into a person and are key parts in making that person who they are.

3. We should be able to talk about these topics

When I say this I’m not talking about discussing these topics with people who agree with your stance but the people who don’t. It’s easy to discuss these topics with people who hold the same beliefs because they agree with you, what’s tricky is when you’re talking to someone who has a polar opposite belief. We all need a little more tolerance and acceptance. Today people think that if someone doesn’t believe in the way they do that they’re wrong and you could never be friends. That is so false. You should be able to be friends with people who hold different beliefs. Just because someone believes differently doesn’t mean you have to hate them you just simply disagree and that's okay!

So many disagreements have been started over these topics and it doesn’t make any sense. Everyone is allowed to believe what they believe without persecution. People should be able to be friends with someone who has different beliefs. Above all, we should be able to discuss these topics and it not be a heated discussion. We all have different beliefs and need to be accepting of other people’s beliefs. You don't have to agree with someone's beliefs to be their friend.