How To Survive a Sports Game that You Don't Care About

​Go team! Score the win! Do the things! Yay!

14
Waceline Cius

I wasn’t the most school spirited student in the hallways. Throughout my four years of high school, I didn’t even go to a football game. That’s changed a little since college. I have immense pride in my school, my fellow students, and all of their accomplishments. Unfortunately, I still hate sports games.

I have, therefore, come up with some simple tips to help other uninterested game day participants make it past halftime.

1. Bring the squad

Chances are, you have other friends who would like to try their hands at extracurricular involvement. If you’re lucky, they’ll be even more awkward than you.

What else are friends for?

2. Look the part

Slap on your war paint and grab anything in your closet with your school logo or colors. Got an overbearing tutu? Wear it. Have giant goofy sunglasses to hide the fact that you snoozed through most of the first half? Perfect. Extra points if you and your friends match.

These people have the right idea.

3. Make some signs and name some names

Have you been dragged into participation because of your one athletically talented friend? Show your support by making signs with their name and jersey number on them. Not only will you seem like an incredible friend, but you’ll be able to use said poster to cover your face. Make it funny or cute or random. No one will be able to see the sadness/boredom/pain in your eyes!

Pro-tip: If you bring a book to casually read behind said sign, you are golden.

4. Extremely vague comments are your friends

So you got stuck sitting next to someone who actually understands and cares about what is going on. Sustain a conversation with them by using non-specific comments. “Did you see that play?” and “A lot has changed since last season” are some of my favorites. Make sure to agree with their comments by nodding your head vigorously and replying “you’re telling me!”

Do you see the girl on the right? You are the girl on the right. Assimilate.

5. Announce your presence

Not only do game-day selfies and posts get a lot of attention, but they are documented proof that you came, saw, and cared enough to take a picture of it. Beware, posting too much will make it seem like you care a lot more than you actually do. I recommend limiting yourself to three: pregame, halftime show and action shot.

Now there's a spirited an excited group! Embody them!

If you follow these rules, you may even find yourself enjoying the game. At the very least, you’ll be three hours closer to the next episode of your favorite show.