How To Stay Focused At The End Of The Semester

Blast 'I Can Go the Distance' on repeat

498

Well, we made it... Almost.

Here at Centre College, we have just wrapped up the final week of classes, and we are entering the home stretch: Finals Week.

You may be thinking to yourself, "I can't." Well, I'm here to tell you that you can.

The following is a compilation of both advice and words of inspiration to keep you focused and motivated on the task at hand: surviving AND thriving during finals week.

1. Catch some Zs.

Sleep is going to be your best friend this week. While it might seem like a good idea to pull all-nighters so you can cram for your exams, let me tell you from experience that it's not worth it. Not only will you accomplish next to nothing during your all-nighter, you will also go into your exam mentally and physically exhausted, i.e., not the best state to be in for a final. So plan ahead and start studying early, that way, the night before your 8 a.m. final, you can get a good night's sleep.

2. EAT UP!

My number one downfall during finals week (or any super busy week of the semester) is not making time to eat. So I'll skip breakfast, then lunch, and sometimes dinner, and end up snacking on lots of not-so-nutritious or filling things throughout the day. This is not ideal, because your brain needs food, brain food! I know it is so much easier to grab a slice of pizza for lunch or a donut for breakfast, but you will really notice a difference if you balance out your junk food with some fruits and veggies.

3. Utilize study breaks.

Study breaks are good; essential, even, but a 30 minute study break can easily turn into a six hour Netflix binge if you're not careful. Break up your studying into blocks of 45 minutes or an hour with 15 to 30 minute breaks, or whatever time frame works for you. Just be stringent with your time and know when break is over.

4. Stay focused on your goals!

We've all been there. It's the end of a very, very, very long semester and you feel like you have nothing left to give. So you say to yourself "Meh, finals schminals, I've worked really hard this semester, I can just coast through finals and I'll be OK."

If you feel yourself starting to slip into this negative type of thinking, RUN IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION. Think about all the hard work you've put in this semester, all the hours of sleep lost, all the time spent in class, and how it would all be for nothing if you bomb your final because you gave up on the final lap! You got this!

5. DON'T LOSE YOUR ISH!

Finals are important, yes. But is the world going to go up in flames and the sky fall to the ground if you don't get straight A's? Probably not. Do your best, but don't break down or get down on yourself if you aren't getting the grades you want. If you spend too much time worrying about the grades or stressing over finals, you are wasting precious time that could be better spent studying.