5 Ways To Deal With College Homesickness

I think that everyone goes through it at least a little bit during your first year.

96

Whether you're missing your friends, family, or just home in general, you aren't alone. There are lots of different ways to make sure that you can get fill that little bit of emptiness in your stomach that comes and goes every now and then.

1. FaceTime

Me, calling my mom at 2:00 AM.

This is the easiest way to stay connected with everyone. It makes it feel like you're still right there with everybody. I have been constantly calling friends and family just to talk for a little bit. Even if I'm not feeling homesick, it's still nice just to stay connected to everyone.

2. Go to the gym.

Nothing helps more with college stress than going to the gym and working out for a little bit. Just plug in you headphones, listen to your favorite music, and go at it for a while. Trust me, it will definitely help, even if you don't typically workout. Maybe your family will compliment you on your newly acquired muscles next time you talk to them, too.

3. Hardcore study.

This might be the most controversial tip to prevent homesickness, but it can really help to get your mind off of the problem. Sometimes it's hard to study when you're missing home, but getting really immersed in schoolwork is not only what we're supposed to be doing, it keeps you focused on one thing. If you just lay around, you'll start to think about all the different things that you're missing.

4. Look at old pictures.

I love looking back on old memories. This might make some people more homesick, but for a lot of us, this can actually keep it from getting worse by laughing at the good ole' times with your friends and family from home. What better way to deal with missing loved ones than looking at pictures of them?

5. Go out and have fun

Obviously everyone has a different way to have fun, but regardless of what you like to do on the weekends, this is the best way to forget about home and what's making you sad. Making memories in a new place with new people is the first step to making this unfamiliar place start to feel like where you belong. Before long, you'll go home, and feel homesickness for your college town.

When you feel like this, it might suck in the moment, but just remember that this is what it feels like to grow as a person. We're all gonna be alright. Keep pushing through, you got this.