How My Unpaid Internship Paid Off

How My Unpaid Internship Paid Off

Cha- Ching!

9
How My Unpaid Internship Paid Off

As my freshman year rapidly started to come to a close, I knew I had to keep myself occupied over the few months that I would be separated from my busy school schedule. I had my usual summer job lined up working at a local ice cream store in my town, but I wanted to do something different, something I would remember. I knew what I had to do- I had to apply for an internship.

For as long as I can remember I have always dreamt of working in a news station, preferably one in the city. I wanted to go big, I wanted to challenge myself. I applied for a summer internship with Channel 7 News located in Boston, MA.

When I found out that I was accepted into the three month internship program, I was nothing short of excited. I was eager to learn, and could not wait to tell my friends and family the news. My role within the WHDH news station was to work closely with the Sales Department and assist them with projects and daily tasks.

My mother was thrilled that I was doing something productive this summer to help me boost up my resume. I completed an eight week internship my senior year of high school with a local television station near my town. As my first day approached, I started to realize how nervous I really was. What if I mess up? What if they don’t like me? A plethora of worrisome questions filled my head like a balloon that was about to pop.

Personally, I knew absolutely nothing about sales and marketing, for I was just coming out of my freshman year. When I arrived on my first day, my nerves were set to ease as I noticed how friendly and welcoming the staff was at the station. Although I was immensely overwhelmed, I already felt like I could write a novel about what I had been taught after just one day. As weeks passed I started to notice that my friends would head to the beach or post pictures of them hanging out all together on social media, I was slightly jealous of them having quality time with each other. I only had this gig two days a week which allowed me to work on the days that I was not at the station.

I sit here typing this article on my last day, with my Charlie Card sitting next to me. I was constantly asked if my internship was paid or if I was receiving credit. “I applied to the internship just for pure experience,” I would tell them. I was slightly bummed that I was spending my tip money on parking and taking the subway in, but I learned that this unpaid internship did in fact pay.

This internship paid me with knowledge, confidence, and skills that I could never put a price on. As I scroll through my social media websites and see pictures of friends enjoying their last days of summer I am not remotely jealous anymore. Although I will go back to college a little less tan than the rest, I can proudly walk out of this office knowing I have a lot more than just another addition to my resume, but experience and knowledge that I can use for the rest of my life.