How To Deal With Life When It Pushes You The Wrong Way

You can’t change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails to always reach your destination.

289
Kathrin Kasperlik

Life often is surprising, chaotic, confronting us with unexpected situations. Even if we wanted, it doesn’t always go as we would like it to. Maybe you struggle with exams or are stuck with a paper, maybe you didn’t get that job you wanted so badly, maybe you sprained your ankle at that party, maybe you didn’t get the food you ordered, or maybe someone spilled a whole cup of coffee on you today. By accident, obviously. I had all of that happen to me.

There are tons of things in our everyday life that annoy us and make us dislike our current situation. What do we do? The easiest thing is to swear a couple of times, put that frown on our forehead and trudge through the rest of our day in a bad mood. I know exactly what I’m talking about. I’m the best in putting on that grumpy cat face just because something didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to, or because life confronted me with another unexpected situation I now have to deal with. But is that grumpy cat face really the best solution and will it make me feel better in the end?

“I can’t change the direction of the wind but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.”

You’re not a sailor? You’re not into oceans and finding out the direction of the wind? No problem! This wonderful quote by Jimmy Dean addresses all of us. Life can be difficult as it is constantly swamping us with small and bigger problems. But instead of wasting out time with wailing and being angry, let’s try and work our way around it.

The point is to accept and to move on in order to get closer to the goal you’re aiming at. We cannot make things un-happen but we can learn from them. We can grow while fighting whatever hardship we are facing right now and, most importantly; we can keep on steering at that destination we so badly want to reach. C’mon guys, every challenge makes us stronger, right?

Every morning when you wake up you can choose joy, happiness, negativity, pain. You have the freedom to make choices. Those choices make you who you are and give you the possibility to become the person you want to be. Put the grumpy cat aside and get up. Today, I choose life. What do you choose?