The Secret Ingredient To My Coffee Recipe Is Absolutely, Hands Down, Memories

It takes more than just a foreign bean to make the right cup of joe.

50

Okay listen, I know some might argue that I drink too much coffee, but is there really such a thing? There's only one correct answer to this question, and of course there's never too much coffee. If you disagree, then I hate to tell you that you are, in fact, wrong. But, those of you who really know me understand and have come to terms with the fact that I carry coffee in my hand pretty much every hour of the day. As I breathe, I inhale the overly-popularized, hot-or-iced beverage.

Here's some insight to how serious I am: in my college dorm (a suite-style dorm), my kitchenette has a coffee pot that can make up to four cups at a time. I use it daily, but in addition to this pot, I have my own personal Keurig in my actual room that has a large water reservoir and can produce as large as a 12 oz to-go at a time. I know those moms are feeling me right about now, especially my mum who drinks just as much coffee as her son. It's how we operate, okay?

All of this is irrelevant, though. When I have the time to really prepare my java, I like to put some hot chocolate powder in the bottom, add some cream, fill the cup with a medium roast coffee, and flavour it with a little bit more cream. Don't mistake it; my coffee is not sugar with a coffee shot, it still tastes like actual coffee I promise. This hot cocoa trick was a little something I learned in my AP Spanish 4 class my junior year of high school - several years later it's still my favourite way to drink coffee! Following suite, my senior year saw several styrofoam cups of hot chocolate coffee.

My high school had a senior lounge where the seniors could get snacks or drinks during our various breaks. My friends routinely followed me up the stairs to my favourite coffee pot for my signature drink. It was constantly in my hand, but it's also the reason I got through senioritis (yes, it's real, don't argue with me). Of course, it certainly made it easier to get coffee since my mum worked in the academic office where this lounge was located because I definitely went to see her several times a day. Sorry to all the teachers that I left in class for my mum. I guarantee that my best friends could 100% make my coffee for me because of how often they witnessed it.

However, when I follow the same recipe in college, I remember all the times they were there with me. I remember making them try it, anticipating their reactions (they loved it just btw). I remember the huge container of cocoa powder in my Spanish class. Everything felt a little bit sweeter with my coffee in hand, but maybe that was the creamer. All those memories hands down make my coffee taste even better today.