Honest Answers To Those Painful Thanksgiving Questions

Thanksgiving is a time for food, family, and painful questions about your life at school.

34

Oh, Thanksgiving: a time where you eat to the point of no return and get to see the family that you love, and the ones you hate (but shush we won't tell anyone who's who). When you first come home from school on break, your parents act as if they haven't seen you in years, yet your siblings act as if you left yesterday. What a wonderful welcome home! Once you're in the door for 10 minutes, your parents need to know everything about school, your friends, the parties, and more importantly, your grades. But not only will your parents be asking so many questions that it seems like they're never ending, but when you go and see the whole family, they'll ask you all the same questions...again! So here's how your Thanksgiving conversations will usually go:

1. "Oh my god! I haven't seen you in forever! How's school going?"

You: Oh, you know, it's good. It's the same as last year, and it's flying by too fast!

Honest You: I know its flying by fast, but will it ever end? Seriously, I'm ready to graduate...

2. "How are your classes this semester? Do you like them?

You: I love this religion and philosophy class I'm in. Both of my professors make it so interesting, and I think it's pretty easy, so I should be able to get a good grade.

Honest You: *laughs deep down inside* Let's be honest, who ever wants to actually get out of bed and go to class? I'm taking 18 credits, all classes that are kicking my butt, but I mean if I get a 100 on my next two exams there may be some hope for me in some of my classes...hopefully.

3. "How's that sweet boy you were seeing this summer?"

You: He's doing well! It's hard to manage a boy, school, and friends, but I'm doing it!

Honest You: **ashamed that it didn't work out**

4. "Do you spend a lot of time on homework or do you have time for yourself?"

You: I go to the library all the time, because I can't get stuff done in my room because it's too loud and crazy!

Honest You: The reason I'm probably doing poorly in my classes is because I'm not going to the library and Netflix usually calls my name...as well as my bed. Those are my weaknesses. And if my room is actually crazy, the craziness is definitely caused by me.

5. "What do you plan on doing over Christmas break?"

You: "Hopefully work a lot to get some more money before Spring semester starts.

Honest You: See that couch over there? My butt will be glued to it, with the remote glued to my hand and "Grey's Anatomy" will be playing non-stop on Netflix. Don't bother me.

6. "Have you thought about any internship opportunities?"

You: Well, I have been looking at a few that are related to my major but I'm not too sure. Some of my professors have showed me a few that I could possibly be interested in as well.

Honest You: **laughs hard** Well you see, I'm still not sure which major I'm going to pick. In reality, my major changes at least once a week. Oops.

7. "Do you have a favorite professor?"

You: Oh yeah, my stats professor is so likable and kind. He is willing to do anything to help you out!

Honest You: Are you kidding me? They all want me to fail. Why would I have a favorite professor who wants to fail me? No thanks.

8. "I see you joined Greek life, what's that about?"

You: OMG, I love my sisters, it's the best thing I could have joined this year. They're all supportive of me and are always there for me. It's like a home away from home, I know how cliche that sounds but it's true!

Honest You: Do you really want to know what my sorority is about or are you just going to make fun of me, because I don't feel like dealing with that.

9. "Who's that girl in all of your Facebook pictures?"

You: She's basically my best friend at school. She'll do anything for me and I'll do anything for her.

Honest You: If a boy messes with me, she'll kill him and make him be nice. She's my person.

10. "Is being away from your family hard for you?"

You: OMG yes! When I'm at school, I miss everyone so much. When I'm home I never feel like I spend enough time with everyone.

Honest You: It's like a nice vacation from everyone, obviously I miss them but this is just a mini vacation from the drama. I love them but it's quiet without them. Don't tell my mom.

No matter what the question your family decides to throw at you this holiday season, remember to put a big smile on your face and tell them what they want to hear. Obviously don't make up crazy lies, some things are left better unsaid. So with that stated, go home and enjoy the craziness your family is bound to bring you at the dinner table this Thanksgiving!