Dear Hometown, These Are The 10 Things I Miss About You

I took you for granted.

126

I don't dislike you as much as I said I did. While I can't say that I miss every person you hold hostage, there are certain voids that Thurston Hall cannot fill.

I grew up in a tiny county, in an even tinier town in southern Connecticut. It's known for its summers on Long Island Sound, beautiful foliage, perpetual snow days, and gardens along the perimeters of modern colonials that are at least 7,000 square feet.

The HBO TV show, "American Housewife" is based off of this area, if that helps.

My graduating class was just over 200 kids, which I've known since kindergarten. This is a recipe for an undeniable, privileged bubble that I could not wait to escape.

Don't get me wrong, though. I am extremely blessed to have had the upbringing that I did. My parents did an excellent job of raising me with a strong set of morals that have put me many steps ahead, especially in my freshman year of college.

Thus, here is a list of things that I miss about my limiting, yet complicated hometown.

1. Feeling like fall

Izzy Angeli

Fall has always been my favorite season. The foliage in Connecticut is like no other— my favorite place to go is Las Vetas Lounge in downtown Fairfield. Even aside from the scenic route, the mulled apple cider is to die for.

2. Being able to cook

Izzy Angeli

If there's one thing Thurston Hall is known for, it is not their communal kitchen. Some of my most distinct flashbulb memories are my mom teaching me to cook and bake. I miss being able to grill vegetables outside and then coming inside to see my dad reclined on the couch before dinner was even ready.

3. My family

Izzy Angeli

I've always enjoyed being an only child. Although, I never really considered myself one because my family has always had pets. More than anything, I wish I could relieve my stress by cuddling with my cats.

4. My theatre company

Izzy Angeli

COMPANY, the local high school's theatre company, is truly a family. Not seeing their faces every day at rehearsal is beyond foreign. No one has ever been able to make me laugh so hard

5. Organika

Izzy Angeli

This is the best vegan restaurant in Fairfield. My go-to is the Kalifornia burger, which has the most fulfilling sweet potato and black bean patty (although, the "dragon bowl" is what's pictured). My best friends and I would come here once a week after school to vent and satisfy our cravings in a healthy way.

6. Being close to NYC

Izzy Angeli

Manhattan is just 50 miles from home, and the train ride is only about an hour long. I've spent countless hours in "the city" with my best friends, wasting money that we didn't have in the first place, and trying new restaurants.

7. Driving

Izzy Angeli

As tedious as Merritt Parkway traffic can be, there's a certain freedom that comes along with being able to drive. My best friends and I had the song "Body" by luxury blasting whenever we rolled down the windows

8. Living by the beach

Izzy Angeli

While Long Island Sound doesn't have the clearest water, I have so many memories there. The coveted hook up spot, to my first breakup, to those existential nights I spent with friends talking and digging our feet into the cold sand until the early morning hours

9. Peter's Market

Bill Bittar, patch.com

If you're trying to avoid someone, this is not the place to go. Being the only store in my town (that's literally what it's labeled as on Google Maps), you are bound to find locals here getting their overpriced groceries. I'll never forget coming here every day before rehearsal and getting the infamous dirty bird sandwich.

10. My best friends

Izzy Angeli

Izzy Angeli

These are four of the most beautiful girls I've ever met— inside and out. I remember how lucky I am every day to be surrounded by constant support, and it's comforting to know that I'll always have people on my side.