Hold onto your Innocence

Hold onto your Innocence

"In those moments when you're alone and want more, give it to God."

362
Hold onto your Innocence
CloudPix

This will certainly be a hard article to put out, but I felt the need for it to be written because I've witnessed so many of my friends who haven't had their first kiss or their first boyfriend yet and consistently talk about their wonder. So for the girls out there who haven't experienced a physical relationship with someone, this is for you:

Hold onto your innocence for as long as you possibly can. I know it’s tough watching everyone around you – even people on your favorite TV shows – fall in love. I know you secretly wonder what it’s like to be kissed for the first time. I know you’re aching inside for a boyfriend, or for some guy to call you "my baby." But let me tell you this: it’s not as glorious as it seems.

Before I was with my first boyfriend, desperation foamed at my mouth. All I wanted to know was what it was like to be with someone and share, not just an emotional connection, but a physical one too. I desperately wanted to know what it felt like when he kissed me, held my hand, wrapped his arms around me and more. Some things I will leave unsaid because they’re a bit inappropriate, but it’s those things that make you want more and more. It's the physical part that drives us up the wall. And sometimes it’s just enough to make you go insane because you think you want to experience it so badly now, but wait till you have and it's gone completely. You won't get that physical connection back, and you're left there wanting even more than you did before.

Like my roommate says constantly, "Boys are a trap. Run away while you can." Now I'm calling out the truth whether you want to hear it or not: Once you've had that first experience of a physical relationship with someone, that's all you'll day dream about. No matter what you say before you've experienced it, even if you think you'll have self control in those moments in time, I can promise you this now, you won't. Even if you try to hold out for as long as possible, there will come a day when it goes just a little bit further and a little bit further and a little bit further until you completely lose yourself and your body takes over rather than your mind.

If I could say one thing to my past self before I experienced it all, I would say this: Be naive. It's okay. Don't feel bad, embarrassed or left out. You actually have something many do not have. Something that those people wish they could get back. Their innocence. Their ability of not knowing what it was all about and being able to wonder "what if" more painlessly. But please know that when you do experience it all for the first time, you'll (hopefully) be able to find it beautiful like I do because it was a bond that you shared with another human being that God created.

...But you'll also want more. And in those moments when you're alone and want more, give it to God. Turn that craving to the Lord. Crave an emotional relationship with Him. Desperately seek Him. Run to Him. Pray. Read your Bible, because I can promise you that you'll find more satisfaction in the idea that you're growing in a relationship with God that will last forever than a physical one with someone else that could only last a few months.