How To Help Hurricane Michael Victims

5 Ways You Can Help The Victims of Hurricane Michael

Wednesday, October 10th, 2018.

24

On Wednesday, October 10th, 2018, Hurricane Michael made landfall on the Florida Panhandle. To those of us in the area, it seemed as if the hurricane formed overnight. With short notice came limited time for contemplation. To evacuate or not to evacuate? Everyone was left to make a decision on their toes.

Hurricane Michael made landfall at 155 miles per hour, just 2 mph short from being classified as a Category 5 hurricane. It was also the first Category 4 hurricane to have ever made landfall in the Florida Panhandle. To view the monstrosity of this hurricane from a different perspective, Michael has now been recorded as the strongest storm since Hurricane Andrew in 1992, to make landfall in the United States.

Although many areas were impacted by the storm, Mexico Beach took the hardest hit. Many officials refer to Mexico Beach as "group zero" for hurricane damage. After looking at the after shots, Mexico Beach appears to look completely flattened out, meaning, barely any buildings are left standing.

There are many ways we can help the victims of Hurricane Michael get back on their feet. Hurricane damage takes a massive toll on people. Some have to begin their entire lives all over again. As a community, we can work together to help raise money, funds and most importantly, the victims moral.

1. Donate Cash.

It is better to donate cash instead of food, clothing and bottled water. The reason is, is because often times donations can create bigger logistical chaos than just cash. With cash, victims can purchase what they need and prioritize their needs at that very moment.

2. Donate through mainstream organizations. 

Always double check the organizations you are donating through. Why? As sad as it is to say, some of these "organizations" are a scam. It is always a safer bet to donate through a mainstream organization rather than an organization you are not familiar with. If you have doubts about a certain group, do a quick search on the Better Business Bureau's Wise Giving Alliance, Charity Watch and Charity Navigator.

3. Donate Blood.

Blood donations are as vital as cash donations. Help save the life of a victim who survived Hurricane Michael and it's destruction. Blood can be donated through many blood drives. A great one to look into is OneBlood.

4. Donate to Habitat for Humanity 

Any bit of donation to Habitat for Humanity will be put to the best use. The more money that is donated, the quicker the organization will have access to the resources needed to help rebuild the victim's homes.

5. Donate your time.

If you are not in the financial state to donate money but are still very interested in helping with the recovery process, donating your time is just as valuable as donating money. Helping with hurricane aftermath, whether it's volunteering with clean up, food delivery or building, all your efforts will be appreciated. If you're interested in getting involved with volunteer efforts, you can visit volunteerflorida.org for more information!