How My Sisters Influenced My Love Of Music

Heavy Rotation Part Two.

54
pexels

Heavy Rotation Part Two: How My Sisters Taught Me The Power of Music

I owe my love of music to many people but where I got my first fix was my house at a very tender age. There was always music playing in the house and my three sisters inadvertently introduced me to some of my favorite bands, but they also taught me the beauty of discovery: how to discover your place in the celestial world of music on your own.

Part two of this series of articles I dedicate to my sister Peggy: our very own Dancing Queen. She spent most of her youth on the dance floor at the Woodbine Inn over in New Jersey. She taught me “The Hustle” and much later (and much to my chagrin), “The Electric Slide”. She is always full of disco ball light even when her world seems like it is falling apart. I get my dance moves and dirty sense of humor from her. Like my other sisters, she peels me off the floor when it is required and gets me moving and shaking my groove thing.

In a recent conversation with Peggy, she announced that she doesn’t want a funeral when she passes, but a dance party, complete with oversized disco ball. I will ensure that the playlist is complete.

Donna Summer:

• “Hot Stuff”, “Bad Girls”, and “I Feel Love”. The woman had a voice of gold.

Bee Gees:

I will argue to my dying breath the genius of the “Saturday Night Fever” soundtrack.

Chic:

Some of my favorite bands follow the drum tactics and bass lines of this immortal band. Just listen to “Le Freak” once, I dare you.

Earth Wind and Fire:

Not just a groovy band, but also a force of nature. “September”, “Boogie Wonderland” and “Shining Star” are just a few of this band’s funky tracks.

The Commodores:

“Brick House” always gets my sister and I to the dance floor, but it is often the soulful beauty of “Sail On” and “Easy” that make the hairs on my arms stand up on end.

ABBA:

My sister’s theme song, “Dancing Queen” will always be how I envision her: on the dance floor with a smile on her face.

Kool And The Gang:

Most people know “Celebration” because it is played at every wedding across the country, however my sister and her best friend Sue remember “Ladies Night” at the Woodbine Inn.

Sister Sledge:

Even my rock goddess sister, Beth will get on the floor for “We Are Family”.

Lipps, Inc.:

“Funky Town”. ‘Nuff said. I remember roller-skating to this song at USA Skating in Northeast Philly.

Taste of Honey:

Get down, “Boogie, Oogie Oogie”. Sing it with me.

It has often baffled me when people put down Disco music. The intricacies of the songs created by amazing artists who felt these rhythms within their souls and express them with their bodies. How can you deny such talent? How can you ignore the desire to get up and dance to the funk and ignore your troubles, if just for a little while?