Having a Safe 4th of July

Having a Safe 4th of July

Don't be Red, White, and Screwed

16
Having a Safe 4th of July
HDWallpaper

Every American celebrates the greatness and history of our nation on the 4th of July. I know I am ready to go swimming and enjoy all the barbecues. However, it is important to practice safety during this holiday. Both fireworks and alcohol are a deadly combination. Something as simple as sparklers can send someone to the emergency room. If you have to think about whether or not you should attempt something: DO NOT DO IT!

Explosive objects are not a joke. It is not uncommon for a person to suffer from burns, just using a lighter to start a fire can go wrong. All fireworks should be placed several feet away from people, animals, and other objects. Plus, firecrackers should be lit by a responsible, sober adult. You always hear the horror stories our mother tells us about an old friend losing a finger or two. This is not just to scare you, it is to create awareness of the severity of lighting fireworks. Also, I recommended when taking young kids to see fireworks that they have some noise cancelling headphones. The sound can be alarming and hurtful to their delicate ears. These eye catching sparks can be both beautiful and safe.

Alcohol. Most people argue it wouldn't be a party without tons of booze. So go ahead and make patriotic Jell-O shots but before doing so, make sure you have a designated driver or a place to crash for the night. It is not worth risking your own life or someone else's because you feel okay enough to drive. Hundreds of people get into serious or fatal car accidents on this day of the year. Drunk driving is a selfish thing to do. It can tear apart families because you were too selfish to call a parent or friend to pick you up. With the increasing popularity of services like Uber, accidents caused by driving under the influence should decrease. I would rather pay for a lift that end somebody's life. Their are some costs that are more drastic than others.

Please do not ever get behind the wheel when intoxicated.

In addition, wear plenty of sunblock and bug spray. A few squirts will save you and your skin from irritation. Reapplying is also a major key in keeping your skin safe from damage. The more, the merrier.

All I'm asking is that you make smart choices during the 4th of July. It will be a better, safer experience for your friends and family. Also, I suggest you take some time to reflect on how far we have come as a country. Take time to appreciate the sacrifices and battles throughout our history. Here's to our independence! Never take it for granted.