Hating On Hate, Loving On Love

Hating On Hate, Loving On Love

Hate and Love are two powerful words, use them wisely

36
Hating On Hate, Loving On Love
New Diaspora

I have found myself using the word "hate" a lot more often than I used to and I certainly, well, hate it. However, I have found myself using the word "love" more often as well. The problem with using the word "hate" too often I think should be pretty clear, but what is the problem with using the word "love" you may ask. The problem I have with using these two words is one that I have personally, so hopefully I can explain.

I'll start with the easier one first. So, what's wrong with my overuse of the word "hate"? Well, to begin with, whatever or whoever I am claiming to hate, I don't actually hate it or them. Hate is a very strong word and one that I have long believed should not be one wasted on things that don't really matter. I'm not saying that hate is something that should never occur. Personally, I find nothing wrong with a declaration of hate towards spiders or cauliflower. Spiders are freaky and someone may not have the best experience with them. Same goes for cauliflower. I also find nothing wrong with a person saying they hate their ex-significant other for cheating on them. Cheating is a profound and hurtful breaking of trust, so go ahead hate their guts.

I do have a problem when I say things such as "I hate that guy in my class who always seems to be speaking out of turn" because I don't hate him. I don't like him all that much as his actions constantly cause me annoyance, but I certainly don't hate the guy. Hate is overused by myself and by others. Do we really hate these people or things we say we do? A lot of times, no.

I am trying to make an effort to say "hate" less, though I have found it to be rather difficult. Once a word becomes a part of my vocabulary, it is an excruciating experience trying to expel it. (For example, I would love to stop saying "like" and "literally" unnecessarily, but it has been a difficult road to recovery).

Okay, on to the harder word: "love". Love is a good word and a good thing, don't get me wrong. I just believe I use the word too frequently now for things that I don't truly love. Like, do I love getting free ice cream? Well, actually, yes. But I don't love yellow cake, I just really really like it.

I used to be so cautious about the word love, and I still am towards people. Even towards my friends, I'm cautious about saying it. I care about them, certainly, but it takes me a while to really know if I love someone outside of my family. My friends would tease me about this a little in high school because they would say "love you!" and I would respond "yeah!" or "ah!" because I'm an awkward human being.

Words are very powerful things, and clearly I enjoy using them. The power of words is something that I do believe everyone has a true grasp of, even myself at times. Being careful about the words I say is something that I will definitely attempt to be more aware of and active in. I hope you all will be too.