How Harry Potter Is Making A Comeback

How Harry Potter Is Making A Comeback

Because the ones that love us never truly leave us.

118
How Harry Potter Is Making A Comeback
Alamy

The last few years have been TV/cinema heaven with the amount of revivals Hollywood has sprouted for its viewers. Shows like “Full House,” “Gilmore Girls” and “Arrested Development” promised well awaited reboots this year, while movies like “Star Wars” and “Bridget Jones” brought in surprising new sequels to the big screen.

Sadly we've also had to say goodbye to beloved series and franchises; the "Twilight" and "Hunger Games" series to name a few of the biggest, and of course, "Harry Potter." The Harry Potter franchise, one of the most successful in both literary and box office history, has been sort of an odd exception to this rule of "saying goodbye" to series that have run their course. Has Harry Potter ever really run its course?

Despite the fact that the last time we heard of the Boy Who Lived was five years ago in the eighth and final film's premiere, 2016 seems to be a big year for J.K. Rowling's world. A new play, "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child", premiered in London over the summer and the rehearsal script was published as a book for all those fans who couldn't make it to watch the show. A whole new movie series based on the Wizarding World is set to start this November, a trilogy written by Rowling herself.

I recently spoke to a few Harry Potter fans and got their take on the sudden resurgence of the Wizarding World in 2016. (Warning: light spoilers ahead):

So what did you think of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child? Was it what you expected?

A: I was a little conflicted when I first read it. Formatting aside, you could kind of tell off the bat that J.K. Rowling hadn’t written it herself. Not that it was a bad thing, but it was definitely different. The story was engaging and I do wish it had been an actual book to get more into the story, but there were so many plot twists and time jumps it was a little hard to keep track of and a little hard to actually believe. What’s great about the Harry Potter books is the fact that you can actually believe this is a world within our world, that this is all going on behindour backs and we have no idea. This story started off like that, but it got to a point where I was like, “Okay, this is pushing it a little.” But overall it was good. I liked it.

B: I thought the story was interesting, but it was hard for me to keep track of the timeline due to the play format and the constant use of the Time Turner. It also made me question why Time Turners weren’t used heavily used by Voldemort and his Death Eaters during the actual series itself, prior to the third book [Prisoner of Azkaban].

Are you excited for the new Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them series?

A: I am! The trailers look great, and what’s really exciting is that Rowling herself wrote the screenplay. They also have the same director and some of the same producers as the last few Harry Potter films so you know they’re going to be true to the original concept. And it'll be fun to see how the Wizarding World works in the US, too.

B: I am excited for a new Harry Potter movie, the trailers look good. I haven’t read the book, nor do I plan to, but I’m sure the movie will be good.

It’s been 5 years since we last saw of Harry Potter with the premiere of Deathly Hallows Part 2. Why do you think we haven’t been able to fully let go of this series like we have others?

A: Harry Potter is literally everywhere. I don’t think there has been another series that has consumed us as much as HP has. Star Wars comes close, in a way, but I think it’s only now after Disney acquired the rights that we’re really being more exposed to it.They’ve done so many things with this series – the Wizarding World parks in both Universal Studios, Rowling’s Pottermore website – and there are still so many things that can be done with it! I don’t think the media will ever really let us forget about HP as long as they can keep coming up with new ways to keep it alive. (And I’m not complaining!)

B: To me, Harry Potter is what I grew up with and was a big part of my childhood. Other series are great, but I would say Harry Potter was the defining series out there when we were growing up and that’s something I will never be able to let go of.

2016 is bound to be a good year for any Harry Potter fan, whether you’re a hardcore fan who’s read through the seven books more than once or you’re just in it for the movies. And who knows? Depending on the success of the play in London, we might be seeing a new play on Broadway for 2017.