It's Christmastime And You Know What That Means, It's Time To Watch 'Harry Potter'

Harry Potter is a Christmas movie, prove me wrong.

111

I was perusing the internet, trying to find a way to prove that "Harry Potter" ("Sorcerer's Stone," "Chamber of Secrets," "Goblet of Fire," "Order of the Phoenix," "Half-Blood Prince," and "Deathly Hallows Part 1") are all Christmas movies. I thought that if I could find an article explaining why "Die Hard" is a Christmas movie, I could use those criteria to prove my point. This search was incredibly fruitful, and I found a chart made by Steven E. de Souza that lists the qualities that make a movie a Christmas movie. (This list is comparing "Die Hard" to "White Christmas" but you need only pay attention to the criteria column on the left.)

Christmas movie criteria

With this being the official criteria that qualify movies as Christmas movies or not, let's begin:

1. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"

Takes place during a Christmas holiday: For a bit

Setting is Christmas party: Hagrid bringing in the Christmas tree, Flitwick decorating it, Ron and Harry playing chess with the tree in the background, the actual present-opening on Christmas morning

Number of Christmas songs: 2 (one has lyrics, one is instrumental)

"Find a broomstick in your stocking,

Singing you the magic of this place.

Join the owls joyous flocking,

On this merry Christmas Day."

Party venue threatened: By Professor Quirrel

Broadcaster w/ hidden agenda: N/A

German ringleader: Lord Voldemort (French name, a British man, close enough, right?)

Government incompetence: The screening process before hiring professors is not thorough enough

Christ-like sacrifice: Ron sacrificing himself in Wizards' Chess

2. "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"

Takes place during a Christmas holiday: At one point

Setting is Christmas party: The decorated Great Hall

Number of Christmas songs: 0

Party venue threatened: By the Basilisk

Broadcaster w/ hidden agenda: Colin Creevey (KIDDING)

German ringleader: Tom Marvolo Riddle

Government incompetence: Letting kids go to school with a monster in the basement (monsters everywhere, actually)

Christ-like sacrifice: Hermione sacrificing herself in the name of science

3. "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"

Takes place during a Christmas holiday: Yes

Setting is Christmas party: THE YULE BALL

Number of Christmas songs: All the music during the Yule Ball scenes.

Party venue threatened: By Barty Crouch Jr.

Broadcaster w/ hidden agenda: Rita Skeeter

German ringleader: He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named

Government incompetence: The Triwizard Tournament definitely got out of hand

Christ-like sacrifice: Cedric giving Harry a clue about the golden egg ("You know the prefect's bathroom on the fourth floor? It's not a bad place for a bath.")

4. "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"

Takes place during a Christmas holiday: Lots actually

Setting is Christmas party: Celebration at the Burrow and some at Hogwarts as well (the room of requirement "wet" kiss between Harry and Cho Chang under the mistletoe)

Number of Christmas songs: 0

Party venue threatened: By Bellatrix Lestrange and other Death Eaters

Broadcaster w/ hidden agenda: N/A

German ringleader: The Dark Lord

Government incompetence: The Ministry of Magic is oblivious to the return of Voldemort

Christ-like sacrifice: Harry using magic outside of school to save Dudley (and himself) from Dementors

5. "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince"

Takes place during a Christmas holiday: Definitely some

Setting is Christmas party: Slug Club Christmas party and time at the Burrow

Number of Christmas songs: 0

Party venue threatened: By Snape (kinda)

Broadcaster w/ hidden agenda: N/A

German ringleader: Tom Vorlost Riddle (Ist Lord Voldemort or "I am Lord Voldemort in German)

Government incompetence: There doesn't seem to be much security at Hogwarts...

Christ-like sacrifice: Dumbledore drinking the potion to get to the necklace

6. "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" Part 1

Takes place during a Christmas holiday: For a short time

Setting is Christmas party: The graveyard scene

Number of Christmas songs: 0... the theme song makes me feel like a kid at Christmas though

Party venue threatened: Straight up by Voldemort

Broadcaster w/ hidden agenda: N/A

German ringleader: Lord Voldemort

Government incompetence: Well the Ministry of Magic is overtaken by Death Eaters so that's a problem

Christ-like sacrifice: Dobby breaking everyone (Harry, Hermione, Ron, Luna, Ollivander, and Griphook) out of confinement at the Malfoy Manor

So, there you have it - 6 of the 8 original Harry Potter movies are Christmas movies. May you watch all of them this holiday season!