That Is The Question

That Is The Question

You don't know, I don't know, what is after. so why follow words when you can question all by yourself?

240
That Is The Question
Nazcan Turkmen

I think the answer to this question changes depending on where you live, what you witnessed. I saw people who were one day wearing high heels, and next day they were wearing a hijab because of their political choices. Religion/belief has nothing to do with politics, it shouldn't be. I can give you much more examples, but talking about something you didn't see sounds like a story. Why don't we look at our history? No, actually, we don't even have to look at the past. Burma; the government imposed restrictions on certain religious activities, China; controls over religions, Iran; everything started with magical black stuff, Saudi Arabia; punishable by death. I don't want to keep on going but you get the point. Religion has always been put in the same basket with politics. That is the easiest and most dependable way to separate the people who live in the same country, make them hate other countries they have never been to and hate people they don't even know, and then policies against them were made. We, humans, are weak. We want someone or something to lean on and that is why we are so ready to accept that thing we think is more secure. But we don't even try to hold what we have already had. But then again, there are people with clean consciences too, so, life is a balance. And who can actually know what is death?

To be, or not to be, that is the question.

To me, this is the most famous misunderstood quote. For years, decades, this quote was used as, "to live or to kill myself" but, as with almost everything in this world, someone who read Hamlet can make sense of two ways. Or maybe ten ways, but I will be focusing on the popular opinions.

After we die, do we continue to exist, or do we stop existing? If we simply stop existing, certainly the risk is worth the comfort of oblivion. But if in the hereafter, we retain our minds, our sensibilities, we must pause before leaping into so uncertain, so potentially horrific a fate.

In Hamlet, Shakespeare used afterlife terms, beliefs, focused on describing death and purgatory. After reading Act I and Act II you come to Act III Scene One to see this simple but meaningful quote. Now, for someone who starting to really understand every sentence, when you come across this for maybe the10th time, you just finally understand what it all really means. Just like that.

Questioning the world, existence, after having so much suffered; Hamlet asks himself: Is there really an afterlife, do we continue to exist, or do we stop existing?