Halloween might help slashers return to theaters

Slashers Need To Cut Their Way Back Into Cinemas Especially In The New Movie 'Halloween'

I am huge horror movie nut and love a good slasher movie.

14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek1ePFp-nBI
Universal Pictures - Youtube

I am one of the many who was extremely excited by the "Halloween" trailer at Comic-Con this year, and as it grows closer to pumpkin spice season, I am looking forward to it more and more. (I have even started my annual horror movie marathon a month early in anticipation) Needless to say at this point, I am a big horror movie nut, and my favorite sub-genre of horror is the classic slasher. For those who may be unaware, a slasher is a horror film in which the characters (usually teenagers) are stalked and killed by a killer (supernatural or otherwise) and murdered usually with some form of blade. I love them.

There is just something thrilling about this brand of horror. The tension of the killer hunting down the dumb college/high school kids is killer. Of course, I was the kid who always cheered on the killer. They were more than just horror films, they were action movies, thrillers, psychological, and even comedies in some cases. The problem is that slasher films have kind of taken a bit of a hiatus. Most slashers that have been made recently have been b-movies that are sometime more jokes than actual movies. Not to mention that big budget slasher movies have been almost nonexistent. For some reason, slashers seem to have lost their popularity with modern audiences.

A lot of people will just jump to the conclusion that slashers do not scare modern audiences as a horror movie should, but I don't think that is the case. Slashers were extremely formulaic during their height. There was a rhythm to the movies that every slasher followed, and that made them feel repetitive, which a lot were. However, the core idea of a killer stalking people and killing them still holds up as a horror staple. Unfortunately, a lot of slasher franchises just couldn't change enough with audiences' tastes.

Enter "Halloween." It is the first new movie in the "Halloween" franchise in years, and the only one with John Carpenter on board of a "Halloween" movies since he directed the 1978 classic all those years ago. This movie is also a direct sequel to his 1978 film, and it is ignoring all entries and reboots since that film. The film is one of a few recent slasher flicks we have gotten, but this one in particular has the chance to bring back the genre. Not only does it have horror icon John Carpenter back on board, but it also presents new topics and cultural relevance that make it stand out. Jamie Lee Curtis returns as Laurie Strode, but she is no longer a frightened teenager. She has been waiting and training to kill Michael Myers. I think that has definite cultural relevance. With the "Me Too" movement, and women finally demanding the respect they deserve, I think the symbolism of a once scared girl standing up to her tormenter as a strong woman can resonate with many.

The film also goes back to the original "Halloween" movie in a lot of ways. However, they are changing the story put forth to us in the second "Halloween" movie where we are told Laurie and Michael are related. That brings up one of the biggest fears that people have. The fear of the unknown, the fear of randomness. The idea that someone could attack at any time with no rhyme or reason for it, is truly terrifying. I think it is that sense of unknown terror that could take advantage of the slasher strengths and maybe bring them back to light.

I hope the movie goes well. I will definitely be seeing it regardless of how it does. If it does well enough (and even if it doesn't) I would like to see this reinvention of slasher moves. Movies that change the parts but keep the machine the same. I would love to see other slasher franchises make come backs as well. Franchises like "Friday the 13th," "A Nightmare on Elm Street," and even "Scream." There is a lot of potential in slasher movies, and in a time where the horror genre is dominated by found footage flicks and demon exorcisms, we need something to cut through the clutter.