The 'Halloween' Franchise And Its Role In The Slasher Sub-genre

"Halloween (2018)" comes out later this month and I'm excited for the classic horror series to finally come back to its roots.

26

At the core of classic horror films is the 'slasher film,' usually involving a masked killer hunting down a bunch of rebellious teenagers. In "Friday the 13th" Mrs. Voorhees hunts down and brutality kills the group of horny camp counselors at Camp Crystal Lake and later in the series numerous sequels it is her son Jason who takes the mantel. "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" on the other hand, often argued as the 'first' slasher film follows a group of teens being hunted down by 'Leatherface' and his cannibalistic family.

But in my opinion, no series has such a stronghold in the 'slasher' genre as the "Halloween" series. Staring Jamie Lee Curtis as the heroine/babysitter Laurie Strode, the series follows her and others in her community as they are stalked by the serial killer Michael Myers. Donning the now iconic bleached William Shatner mask, (I know this is a well-known fact but it still is surprising!) and a dark jumpsuit, Myers spends the first film hunting Laurie around the house she is babysitting and the closed atmosphere of the houses on the block almost becomes another enemy for Laurie to go against.

Like another slasher film "Scream" which doesn't shy away from taking elements from "Halloween," in fact screenwriter Kevin Williamson wrote one of the "Halloween" sequels "Halloween H20: 20 Years Later," the "Halloween" franchise reveals that Laurie is actually Michael's sister, unknown to her until later in the series. This revelation/character development only makes the newest film even more exciting as Laurie's entire character arc in the newest film is that she is going to finally kill Michael, something she and many others have tried to do unsuccessfully numerous times.

By bringing the series back to its roots, the now former babysitter Laurie, fighting off her brother who is trying to kill her, the series hopes to bring new life into the now sometimes overdone sub-genre. And with what I can tell from the trailer and all the press around the new film I can't wait to see it.

Most of my excitement comes from the press around the new film painting it as another installment and not a reboot for a new generation like Rob Zombie's 2007 reboot tried to do. By having Laurie be the main focus of the film instead of new characters or Michael himself, I hope that this film not only delivers in thrills but also in the seemingly final battle between the two siblings.

Will you see the new Halloween film?